Search

Traveling to Montezuma

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Montezuma

Hi! I am going to CR for New Years, and then planning on going to Montezuma on the first. I have been attempting to find out if there is bus service on New Years Day, and was wondering if anyone knew. Also, what is the best way to get to Montezuma from San Jose? The Interbus does not go directly to the coast, and I believe we need to pick up a ferry. What does everyone recommend?
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
RAC

Oof. Sounds like a long trip. I didn't see anything bigger than a passenger van there. The road into town isn't very bus-friendly.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM

The drive from San José to Puntarenas takes about two hours along the Panamerican road.
In Puntarenas there are two ferry terminals that connect to Paquera:
_ the terminal at the northwest end of the town where the Peninsular and the Naviera Tambor are car/passenger ferries which do the one and half our trip to Paquera.
_ the old terminal at the dock behind the market where the "Lancha" departs. This lancha is for foot and bike passengers only. The Lancha connects with the Paquera-Montezuma bus.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Interbus does go to Montezuma actually - sort of They go SJO to Tambor, then you'll have to bus or taxi it to Montezuma, about 1/2 hour or so away. Now, whether they are operating on Jan 1st, I do not know but their site odes say 365 days a year. You may want to contact them to be sure though.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! So, from the sound of this my best bet would be to take Interbus to Tambor, then just take a private cab to Montezuma. How long is the bus ride from San Jose to Tambor?
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM

2 hours to Puntarenas, 1.5 hour on the ferry. Another 30 minutes or so taxi to Montezuma.

That does not count the waiting time at the ferry. Vehicles arrive to queue up, get tickets, etc. sometimes an hour or so in advance. Not sure how busy it will be on that day. 6 hours from San Jose to Montezuma is pretty typical, I'd say. Sounds long, but it's all interesting. We always enjoy the ferry crossing.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM

Isn't another option to take the bus or interbus to Jaco/Playa Hermosa from which there is a water taxi to Montezuma?