Traveling to Costa Rica over New Year's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica with a group of friends for a couple of weeks, starting December 30th, but we have the sinking feeling that the country closes down from Christmas through early January. Is this true? We still have the option to travel there on January 3rd - is this a better option?

One of the problems we are having is securing a rental car. After checking a variety of rental web sites, it appears that all are sold out! I realize its high season, but is there any trick to finding a car??

Katie
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Katie, I don't have information for you regarding a rental car, and I know you're aware that this is high season... Having said that, I was in CR over over Christmas (getting home on New Years) and I was very surprised to find that nothing really closed down for Christmas at all! Tourism has become the country's #1 export, if you will, and we went about normal activities on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (hired a driver, did tours, etc.) Perhaps someone else could better address if you're better off delaying... but I'm thinking that's still high season regardless.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 03:22 PM
vwr

We'll be in CR for the holidays, too! Thanks, Carol, you've eased my concerns about things closing down for Christmas!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:16 AM

Hi
Try going through a travel agency to rent a car, we have found it to be cheaper that way. We were there last New years, we relaxed on New Years day, but after that we travelled as normal.
Greg
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Christmas through New Years is a Fiesta to say the least. Many beach towns have vendors packing the streets, bull riding, streets closed off and just one big party at night. If that's not what you are looking for then perhaps Jan 3 rd is a better option.
For a car rental try Arturo Mairena at Adobe car rental. - [email protected]
We have used him for over 5 years and have referred many people to him with nothing but praise. Take the extra insurance to cover everything.
Good Luck
Mike
[email protected]
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. They're very helpful. I've contacted a rental car service through Tico Travel and am sending an e-mail to suggested person at Absolute Car Rental...and it appears that cars are available!

Since it seems like the country will be in business, we're going there over New Year's. Thanks again for your help!!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Oops, I meant Adobe Car Rental...I'm mixing up my web sites.