Search

Traveling to Belize

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 07:29 AM
Lisa

Traveling to Belize

My husband and I are planning a trip to Belize, 6/29-7/7/01, and are looking for suggestions. We are looking to experience the culture, see as much of the country as possible, have adventure type fun and a few days of pure relaxation. We are thinking Ambergris Caye, San Ignacio area (possibly driving there), and Placencia. Is this too much to accomplish in 7 days? Please forward any thoughts for lodging, must see places, etc. <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR>Lisa

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 05:55 PM
Susan

Lisa, I think that's a lot of territory to cover in only 7 days. We did the same trip a few years ago, but spent 14 days on it. Personally I didn't care much for Placencia - we didn't have a good experience with the first hotel we booked - but I also didn't think that the beach was all that special. We had gone there specifically for the beach. I enjoyed Ambergris Caye a lot - snorkeling was great and the town was a nice little place. We were there 6 nights. We also spent 3 or 4 nights in San Ignacio - nice area, lots to do there. <BR> <BR>We flew from Belize City to Ambergris and also down to Placencia. We took the bus to San Ignacio. <BR> <BR>I think you'll enjoy Belize, but be prepared for heat! We were there in February and it was hot then. There didn't seem to be any breeze! <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:13 AM
Katie Valk

I'd certainly visit the Cayo area and 3 nts really isn't enough time, but with only 7 nts in Belize, it'll work. Then I'd choose either Ambergris or Placencia. I'd say Ambergris was the more socially active location with the larger selection of hotels, people and restaurants/bars. Easy to arrange 2.5 hr snorkel trips to the local reef. Placencia ismoper laid back, better beaches and smaller mofre intimate beachfront inns. Snorke trips are full day out to the reef, miles from shore. <BR> <BR>Pick one of the other,but you won't have time for both. <BR> <BR>Katie Valk <BR>Belize

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Susie Painter

Six of us traveled all over Belize last Nov. We spent two weeks doing it. I'm sure we missed alot of really neat places, but what we saw was great. We were there a month or so after the hurricane. Things in Ambergris was still pretty messed up, but we had a good time there. <BR> <BR>I wasn't very impressed by the mountain area. Maybe it was because it looked so much like NC(where I live)pine trees, red clay mud and monsterous pot holes. What I really like was Placencia. It's very laid back. The people there are not very sociable. It's very safe, but you feel like an intruder. But the atmosphere is so relaxed and beautiful. We were only there for 4 days, so I know when we go back, we will get to meet more of the locals and get acquainted. We liked it so much, we bought some property there. If you are interested in visiting ruins, spend the money and go to Tikal, the other ruins we seen there weren't much. As far as lodging, we were lucky enough to find something reasonable and comfortable everywhere we went. Good Luck!

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Erin

Hi Lisa, <BR> <BR>My boyfriend and I spent 7 days in Belize this April. Our itineray was like this: <BR> <BR>Day 1: Arrive Belize City, take local flight to Placencia. <BR> <BR>We stayed 3 nights at the West Wind hotel which is right on the beach in Placencia (no AC, TV or phones). If you are looking for something totally off the beaten path and want to relax, then Placencia is the place. We choose this as our first stop to get away from it all. The beach is great with tons of hammocks under huge palm trees. Lots of great little restaurants. There is only one sidewalk that winds around the sandy beaches. The locals are totally friendly and make you feel at home. <BR> <BR>There are lots of day trips you can plan from Placencia including touring the Jaguar Conserve, caving, Mayan ruin tours, and diving. We did the Monkey River boat tour which was great. It takes you to a remote village (180 people) down the southern coast of Belize. When you arrive at the village, you place your order in for lunch before you explore the wilderness. Choices are chicken or fish with rice and beans. We spotted howlder monkeys during our walks through dense jungle. We had the best food here (home cooked by the tourguide's mom) <BR> <BR>Day 4: Fly to Belize Municipal Airport. We rented a car for the day and drove to San Ignacio (1.5 hours on W HWY) where we toured Xunantunich and stopped for lunch. Not much else to do there and it's really dusty. <BR> <BR>Day 5-7 Ambergris Caye. This was great because we felt like we built our way up to paradise. San Pedro is more resort-like and crowded, but not overly so. We did some day snorkeling trips to Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan--a must. Great dining at Celi's. We stayed at the Sun Breeze which is right across from the air strip. Great hotel and moderately priced. <BR> <BR>Weather in April was 88F every day. No rain. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps! <BR> <BR>Erin