Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Tamarindo Hotels: El Diria, Pasatiempo, or Jardin del Eden???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have three nights in Tamarindo in late March through early April. Our first hotel choice, Capitan Suizo, is booked. The only available rooms I have been able to find are at:

Hotel Pasatiempo
El Jardin del Eden
El Diria

Can anyone comment on whether there is a clear best choice among these? We like the idea of being on the beach, which makes El Diria stand out. However, we have read great things about Jardin del Eden. The Pasatiempo also gets good reviews and looks fun.

By the way, we have two kids ages 11 and 13. Ideally, we would find a place that is good for the kids (beach, pool, etc.) and fun for us (good restaurants, bars, etc. nearby)

Thanks!
Dave
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM

We've stayed at Pasatiempo a couple of times. It is small, inexpensive, and about a 5 minute walk from the beach. It is up a side road from the main entrance into town. The manager is a fun guy, Ron Stewart, from South Dakota or somewhere in the north. It isn't fancy, but has tremendous character! We like the hammocks outside each room, the small pool, the restaurant and bar area. Never have been to the Tuesday night "jam", but am sure it's a ton of fun! Can't tell you anything about the other two. We ran into a surfer a few years ago who returns to Tamarindo a couple of times a year. Wouldn't stay anywhere but El Jardin.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Ooh, this is a tough one! We haven't stayed at Pasatiempo, but it looks very nice. The food is great. If you stay there, I would recommend asking for a room away from the bar as I bet it can get rather noisy. We have stayed at the Jardin. The room was small but clean. Didn't eat at the restaurant. The only problems I can foresee is that they don't have much parking, and at night, they lock the gate, and it can be a pain to get in. However, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone comment on what these hotels might be like throught the eyes of a young teenager and an 11 year old? they tend to be happiest in a hotel close to the beach (which all of these seem to be), with a fun pool, and near "stuff" that they like to do (surf shops, amusements, other teens, etc.)

Thanks for any advice!

Dave
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Diria is ON the beach, has two pools - one on either side of the road - and amazing sunsets. Pasatiempo is not ON the beach. Nowhere is far from the beach when you're in Tamarindo, though, and all restaurants are within walking distance. The whole town closed up one Tuesday night when we were there in November to go to Pasatiempo for live music - quite happening there. Didn't go into Jardin, but ran into some folks we shared the bus ride to Tamarindo with who were staying there and who really liked it. Go to Capitan Suizo for dinner if you like good food/good service. We walked there from the Diria and saw fireflies (a treat for a west coast girl) en route and heard the monkeys in the trees. If you stay at the Diria the standard rooms can be a little grungy - adequate, but grungy. The other rooms seemed to be worth a little more money. Enjoy Tamarindo.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Iza

I think of the 3, I would pick either Jardin del Eden (ask for a newly renovated room or see if you can get an apartment which would be a nice size with 2 kids) or El Diria (this is based on the location alone as I have not stayed there). At El Diria you will be right in the center of things, at Jardin del Eden, you will be slightly up the hill, just a short walk from the center of things.