Travel to Peru/ Machu Picchu

Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Travel to Peru/ Machu Picchu

Can anyone tell me when a good to travel to Machu Picchu is? I heard the rainy season is not good, or that they will not let you go up. Please advise.
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM

The ruins are open all year. Sometimes, especially in the worst of the rainy season (January and February), the walks up there might be a little slippery or muddy. Usually about once during the rainy season, mudslides block the train tracks between Cusco and MP, but that's rare.

My favorite time is April or May. The rainy season is over. Everything is still lush and green, but the high-season crowds haven't begun to arrive yet.
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. That's exactly what I need. But just another question: How is it during October and November?
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
P_M

I'm sure Jeff will have the answer, but in the meantime here's a good site for weather stats:

www.weatherbase.com
Oct 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM

I will be going in May. Sounds like good time. I have a question. Can I purchase tickets for the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu in advance on the internet. If not whats the best way. I don't really want to end up queing very early in morning of the day of departure.
Oct 4th, 2008, 12:39 PM
emd

Yes you can- go to perurail.com now and you can pay for your tickets from Cuzco to Aquas Caliente (where Machu Picchu is). It is important to do this ahead of time, including the return train trip to Cuzco.
Oct 4th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Wow. Such a quick answer. Tried the web site and its just what i need. Can only book up to three months in advance so I'll have to wait. At least I know I can do it. Thanks
Oct 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
emd

yeah, I am online planning my April trip to that area right now...I didn't realize the trains are only available three months ahead. Mark your calendar, I'm marking mine. Also, LAN flights within Peru do not open up for reservations til 6 months ahead.