Travel to costa rica?

May 19th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Travel to costa rica?

I'll travel to Costa Rica to spend 9 days.Now on i think i'll be acommodate on the caribean coast. My objective is to spend 5 days on the beach and the others walking around natural parks.Could someone help me and tell me which are the best beach to swin(not for surf)The caribean or the pacific coast?why everybody only talks about the pacific coast?Please tell me the best beaches, the best hotel or resorts, and if to do what i want it's better to forgive the atlantic and concentrate on the pacific? Thanks a lot
Miguel
May 22nd, 2003, 07:04 PM

Hola Miguel,
Regarding your question of why people talk about the pacific more than the caribbean. The caribbean side is less developed and the economy there is more depressed. It is very different from the rest of the country because it is like Jamaica and many people speak english rather than spanish. There are many Rastafarians there and there have been problems with drugs. There are not always problems and many people like it there because there are not a lot of tourists.
There is a lot more to do on the Pacific side because it is more developed. Manuel Antonio is very popular and has monkeys and good swimming and white water rafting, and horseback riding, rainforest, and many other things.
May 23rd, 2003, 03:34 AM
Ben

Try Corcovado National Park on the Pacific side. Nice beaches for swimming, incredible wildlife. Check out Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp - owned by a very nice Costa Rican family - very small and intimate with tents just feet from the ocean (also less expensive than and not as crowded as the Corcovado Tent Camp, which has a similar name). The website is www.corcovado.com.
May 23rd, 2003, 06:35 AM

I spent a week in Peurto Viejo (kind of bohemian) on the Atlantic coast 2 years ago and quite enjoyed the reggae blasting from the various restaurants and bars. As mentioned above, this area is a Jamaican (not necessarily only Rastafarian, what ever that reference was meant to portray) enclave and a bit of an oddity given Costas Ricans primarily speak spanish. The coast line is a little rough do to volcanic eruptions. Don't recall there being beautiful beaches. To travel from there to the other side of the country can be a bit daunting and would take quite a while (7-8 hours to Arenal Volcano) to get elsewhere. Once we left there we toured around Arenal Lake (the hot springs were great)until we got to the Pacific Coast. We quite enjoyed Nosara but the better beach was down the way in Garza. I would suggest concentrating on the Pacific coast and Arenal volcano area for the different types of tours/activies.
May 23rd, 2003, 11:11 AM

I don't care for the Caribbean coast as well personally. We did the two-day white water rafting tour on the Pacuare river with Aventuras Naturales and they end up about an hour or two from the Caribbean. I would stay away from Limon and Puntarenas. have a great trip. --Laura Bartucca