Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Travel time&route: Arenal to Manuel Antonio (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/travel-time-and-route-arenal-to-manuel-antonio-319650/)

karinkz Mar 9th, 2008 10:09 AM

Travel time&route: Arenal to Manuel Antonio

It looks like there would be two possible routes--to head north over the lake to catch the Pan American at Canas, or to head south down Hwy 142 to catch the Pan American at San Ramon and then to? I imagine the rental car company will help us (and hopefully we can rent a GPS), but I'd like a heads up. I think I've heard it's a 5-6 hour drive. Also--are there any interesting quick stops along the way?

shillmac Mar 9th, 2008 12:30 PM

karinkz,
DEFINITELY the San Ramon route. The other will take forever as the lake road is generally bad and slow going. Once back to the Interamerican via San Ramon, backtrack east to the Atenas exit, then follow signs to Atenas and on to Orotina and Manuel Antonio and Quepos. Signage is generally good.

MichelleY Mar 9th, 2008 01:05 PM

Dear karinkz:

Follow shillmac's advice. For some reason, the locals we asked for route advice steared us towards hitting the Pan Am Hwy out of San Ramon. We stopped in San Ramon for snacks and directions to Atenas turn-off. We were told, "no, no, this way is easier" (the Pan Am)
I think it was just easier to explain. The highway was jammed packed with trucks and very slow.

Good luck and have a good trip.

MY

tripinink Mar 14th, 2008 09:58 PM

Just back from CR. The Atenas road heading west toward Jaco/Manuel Antonio was much busier than in past years, particularly with truck traffic with construction deliveries for all the new condos/hotels going up in those areas. Not sure if day of the week makes a difference for travelling. We noticed lots of surfboards strapped to cars as Ticos made their way out to the ocean and realized there was additional weekend traffic. Road paving continues to complicate matters on this 2 lane highway. We counted over 600 cars backed up and waiting to pass the construction travelling west.

Our own trip was 4 hours from the car rental near the airport to Quepos, slightly longer than the past but we did not encounter any delays. Return trip was 3.5 hours, via Atenas, again fortunate not to be held up in traffic. As previously reported, the signs are easily followed.

In the past, posters on the forum have suggested staying in Manuel Antonio on the last night then driving in to San Jose for an afternoon flight, which is what we did. While this might have worked well in the past, I would not recommend this option now since the road situation clearly can not be anticipated and the uncertainty adds stress at the beginnning of a travel day.

GPSCOSTARICA Mar 15th, 2008 06:14 PM

I drive there all the time...as a personal opinion...the best way and I called a short cut...is driving back to San Ramon...make a left on Pan Am Hwy...drive to Palmares take that "exit" follow signs to Zaragoza and to Atenas...once in Atenas make a right...that is the way to Monte del Aguacate...San Mateo...Orotina...Herradura...jaco...Parrita...Paq uita...Quepos...Manuel Antonio..Driving time about 5 hours...

You will avoid the heavy traffic coming from La Macacona...many trucks coming from Puntarenas all day long!!

Drive around the lake to Canas is a very long way...

Get a GPS if you can they work fantastic...I have one that is becoming my best friend!!

Luis GPS

karinkz Mar 16th, 2008 07:40 AM

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. What would I do without you? We have an early morning flight Saturday out of San Jose, so will definitely be driving back on Friday--and staying near the airport. Hopefully, we will be driving against the traffic on Friday. And--yes,because of advice on this board, we have reserved a GPS.

Jim_Boo Mar 18th, 2008 10:33 AM

If you are looking for a good online map and driving directions: www.yourtravelmap.com
Most of the weekend traffic goes in the direction of the beaches, you will be fine driving back on Friday.

karinkz Mar 20th, 2008 12:06 PM

Thank you so much, Jim, for pointing me to that travelmap site. It's very helpful.