Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   [email protected]? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/travel-ipanema-com-229256/)

Scott Jun 8th, 2002 06:11 AM

[email protected]?

I've confirmed a hotel (Debret) through this site and was wandering if anyone has had any experiences with doing this? I just didn't want to get down there and no one know who the heck I am (or why I'm there). Thanks for any help. Just trying to be cautious. Scott

Don Jun 8th, 2002 07:06 AM

Scott, when are you going to Rio? And did you give them your credit card number? Is that the website www.ipanema.com? If it is they are ok. You also can book directly through the Debret website www.debret.com which I do all the time and get a good rate and I never had a problem they also have roundtrip car service available for $20 each way. Good choice of hotel I stay there all the time, great price, great location, great staff, if you have any more questions you can post on this board or email me.

Scott Jun 8th, 2002 08:34 AM

Don, I'm going the end of Nov-1st of Dec. I didn't give them a credit card # and felt a little unsure. I've booked another hotel for another part of the stay through Orbitz (which I've used in the states). I'm thinking about calling the hotel and making sure that have it. I guess that would be the surest way, you think? Thanks for all the help, Scott

Don Jun 8th, 2002 08:51 AM

Well Im going the same timeframe myself and I booked through the hotel directly and they sent me back a confirmation, did you get a confirmation? You can call the hotel, it will cost you a few bucks but for the peace of mind it might be worth it. Or you can cancel with who you booked and go directly to the hotel and get your confirm. The website of the hotel is quoted in local currency Real about 2.65 real to the dollar so a luxo room in the front with the best view is about $58 a day in todays money. Has the website you booked through given you a choice of rooms because these websites might just be offering you standard and at what price? Standard is in the back with no view but a brick wall. Either way the free breakfast is great and the location of the hotel can't be beat.This is a website of an American who lives in Rio for any other hotels www.blameitonrio4travel.com <BR>and this is for airfare<BR>http://www.brazilianvacation.com/AirOnly.html

Scott Jun 8th, 2002 12:40 PM

That's a great idea. If you don't mind I'll e-mail you when time gets closer to pick your brain a little more, if you don't mind. Thanks for being so helpful, Scott

Don Jun 9th, 2002 05:18 AM

Scott, sure email me wehen you want when it gets closer to the timeframe, just less than 6 months and counting. Will this be your first time in Rio?

Scott Jun 9th, 2002 06:02 AM

Yes it will be my first visit. I've been thinking, if I call down there to the hotel (Debret) will they know enough english to be able to understand me? Probably a stupid question but I just have no idea of how much English is spoken (in the smaller hotels). Thanks, Scott

Don Jun 9th, 2002 06:38 AM

Scott, the first person that picks up the phone at the Debret may not speak english but in that hotel many employees speak english. I have done exactly what you want to do myself in years past, I wasn't sure if they booked my room or not and I called during the week and I spoke to someone who use to live in the US and he spoke perfect english. All of the front desk people of the hotel speak very good english. Maybe you would want to try and email them first this is the email address: [email protected]. Tell them who you made the reservation with and they will look it up and get back to you, if you do not get any satisfaction then call. I do remember that my phone call was about $18 or so, it wasn't cheap.If you don't speak the lingo then when they answer say Fale Inglese? Then they will get someone who speaks english, during business hours there should be no problem.

Don Jun 12th, 2002 06:44 PM

Scott you may want to check out the Debret website www.debret.com, they have a porcotes promotion which is if you book a certain amout of days up to 7 you will save money, I rebooked and saved some money for my trip later this year.