Notices

Travel from Guatemala to Belize

Nov 13th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Travel from Guatemala to Belize

We are a family of four, spending a week + in Guatemala in late April; Antigua, Lake Atitlan, Chichecastenango. We'd also like some Carribean beach, snorkeling action - so considering adding Belize for 3-7 days. We could fly into Guatemala and out of Belize City but not sure how to get from Western Guatemala to Belize in an expeditious/safe/ not too expensive manner. Also would like suggestions on a beach location en route, in Belize, that is sort of 'Playa del Carmen 1970's' . Palapas, clean, simple. Thank you!
Nov 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM

Visiting Tikal in Guatemala is a great idea anyway and if you're heading up there, Belize is only 2 hours away by bus. You can overnight bus to Flores which is an hour from Tikal, or fly which would be much faster but also more expensive. If you want to break up the trip by road you could stop a few days around Rio Dulce; the town itself isn't all that but the day trip up the Rio Dulce to Livingston and back is gorgeous and has some interesting stops along the way.

The only beachy areas we've visited in Belize are Glover's Atoll (like Robinson Crusoe - no elec or running water) and Caye Caulker which may be more settled than you're thinking but is charming and laid back with a good range of accommodations and food options.

We've loved everything we've done and every place we've stayed in Guatemala and Belize - lots of photos plus travelogue/blog links below in case you're interested. Happy trails!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Nov 14th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Deluxe Bus ADN or Linea Dorada would be best to Belize

Tikal makes a nice stop www.jaguartikal.com my fav there

In Belize Placencia www.calicojacksvillage.com

has a nice family feel...North Maya Beach best in area...
Nov 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM

But www.tikalinn.com has a pool and the most entertaining, wonderful guide I've ever met!

Note to qwovadis: Since you are typically short on words, I like it when you phrase things like "my fav" instead of simply "best". You're willing to share a little bit from your extensive experience, guess I'm wanting to know more about WHY you like the things you post about since our tastes might not be the same as yours. I liked Jaguar Inn, too, but Tikal Inn has nicer grounds imo, enormous, bright rooms, and that lovely pool which can save the day when it's HOT which is usually. Have you tried both and, if so, why did you prefer the Jaguar Inn? Price?

Search this Thread