Travel from Belize airport to Tikal

Mar 18th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Travel from Belize airport to Tikal

We plan to arrive about 11am on August 4, and Id like to spend the first 2 nights at Tikal. For three of us the flight to Flores is $640, leaving after 4 pm. Can anyone recommend a driver instead? Im hoping it is cheaper, and we could perhaps visit the zoo along the way.
thanks!
Mar 18th, 2018, 07:10 PM

There's a list of private drivers to get you started on this transport website: www.belizebus.wordpress.com
Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:24 PM

I would suggest going to Tikal via Tropic Air, I did it and it was amazing.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:39 PM

ievabalo - the OP says it would cost them $640 and not leave for 5 hours after their international arrival - they're looking for a cheaper option that would leave sooner and allow a stop at the zoo.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks- I have checked out the list of transfer companies and am sure we can find something- looks like lots of options. Is staying 2 nights at the Jungle Lodge still a good idea? I did it 22 years ago and it was unforgettable, but probably there were a lot fewer people going then, and we were free to wander around the ruins for hours.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 06:10 AM

Tikal is still amazing. It's been 15 years since my 1st visit to Tikal and the main thing that has changed is you can't climb as many temples as you could back then - just Temples 2 and 4 have wooden stair access now. You can still wander around the site for hours unguided but you might want to hire a good guide to give you context and help you spot wildlife. Some hotel packages include a guide and you could hire one at the visitor center but they're not all created equal. Here are my favorites:
Archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz (busy, not always available but worth trying): TIKAL ROXY'S TOURS
Marlon Daz (could also offer transport - you might consider arranging Belize transport to the border and having Marlon meet you there - maybe add a visit to Yaxh on your way back to the border?): [email protected] a Gem Trips - Gem Trips

Here's the latest I've heard on the ticket changes for Tikal (buy in advance to save waiting in an additional line at the main gate to the park): https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...banrural-banks

Happy trails!

Search this Thread