Travel distance from Puntarenas C.R to Poas Volcano

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel distance from Puntarenas C.R to Poas Volcano

My husband and I will be taking a bus tour to the Volcano off a cruiseship. Does anyone know how long it takes to travel from Puntarenas One Way. The Cruiseline doesn't give you much in the way of details. We are trying to figure out if it will be worth it being as we are only at the volcano for an hour or so. Also, is the trip to the volcano from Puntarenas really scenic?
And for those of you that have been inside the park, did you see any wildlife or Birds?(especially Toucans)!!
Please Help!
Thanks!!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Please Help! We would like to book are tour asap, but we would like to know the details first!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:01 AM
peg

I cannot help you with travel times, but my best guess would be at least two hours one way. I also cannot help you with how scenic it would be, sorry. We went from just north of San Jose to the volcano and it was a scenic moutainous drive.

Basically you park in the lot, walk up a paved path, then up some steps to a wooden deck observation platform, and hope the clouds clear to give you a view of the crater. We were lucky and they did clear for about 10 minutes and we took some pictures and that was it.

We did not see any toucans there. We did however see them when we stopped at a restaurant on our way to Arenal and the Tabacan Hot Springs. One actually came in and sat on the end of our table.

Can you maybe give some other options for tours. Maybe some of us could help you out a little better.

Unless that is the best tour they offer, I would try maybe something else. As I am not real familiar with the Puntarenas area.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Iza

Peg, I can't help with the travel time either, but I believe it would be between one and a half and two hours. Does the cruise ship offer any other tours? If they have a tour to Carrara Reserve and/or Manuel Antonio, take that instead of Poas Volcano. You will have a much better chance of seeing wildlife in those places (scarlet macaws at Carrara!). Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:31 PM
peg

We saw scarlet macaws at Carrara also, and not far from there in Tarcoles there is a crocodile river tour that we not only saw many crocodiles, which they stop the boat at one point and feed one, ours was named Mike Tyson. Anyway we were the only ones on the boat and we saw many different birds, among them scarlet macaws again.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Iza

OOps, Peg! Of course I was trying to direct my prior response to Puppydog who asked the question originally.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Peg and Iza for your comments and suggestions. I don't think Carnival offers any of the other tours you mention, except maybe the Tarcoles River Tour. We decided against that tour, because we have been on other tour boats that take you to see crocodiles, so we kinda wanted to do something different.
The other tour we were contemplating, was a leisurely raft trip down the Corobici River. This is just a class 2 river that your suppose to see alot of birds and wildlife on.(Especially monkeys). One of the reasons we weren't sure about this tour is we figure there will be alot of mosquitoes. Plus I heard the river is pretty muddy. The tour reads that you will get wet. Between the mosquitoes and getting dirty muddy water splash on me I decided to take a chance on the Volcano Tour. This was our second choice. The bus climbs pretty high in the mountains, so I am assuming it will be fairly scenic. I know there is a chance we won't see the crater, but I guess thats just the chance you take. At least we know it ahead of time, so we won't be as disappointed. I've read from other posters that if you do get to see it, It is quite beautiful. We are also supposed to have lunch in the park, and stop at the village of Sarchi.
Well, Thanks again Ladies!!
Puppydog
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:52 AM
peg

Sarchi is a nice shopping village, so you will enjoy that. All of us bought one of those hand painted ox carts among other things. The volcano is beautiful when you view it. I wish you the best of luck.