travel agent or not?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:23 AM
Leslie

travel agent or not?

I'm planning a trip that would put me in Isla Mujeres for 4 nights, then 3 nights in Playa at an AI. Since there doesn't seem to be any "packages" that will split locations, would I save more money by booking myself, or going thru a travel agent?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:10 AM
Shell

Leslie, you'll be lucky if you can find a TA that's even heard of Isla, much less one that's familiar with it. Even if you're going in high season, unless you're traveling with a large group, there's really no need to make reservations in advance. In fact, chances are good that you'll get a better rate by just showing up at a hotel and asking how much for a room. I always go with at least two or three hotels in mind. A good Web site to check out is: http://www.isla-mujeres.net/wwwboard/index.html

You can also book yourself into hotels in Playa. Ask questions at: http://www.playadelcarmeninfo.com/

I don't know if you've ever heard of MLT Vacations, but they offer some great prices from time to time. I just went down the week after Christmas from Detroit to Cozumel for a week for under $200 including all taxes. If you're flexible and live near one of their departure cities: www.worryfreevacations.com

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:19 AM
Leslie

Thanks for the great info!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:50 AM
xxx

no to travel agent

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 03:38 PM
brandi

Ok, I am a travel agent, I have heard of, and been to Isla Mujeres, so I am familiar with it. The person who is saying TA's don't know about it is wrong! I have done plenty of stays in Mexico with package rates where my clients divided up their stay at two or three different hotels in the area. It is possible and I can't think why somebody would think it wasn't. It is actually very simple.
Brandi