Transportation recommendations for Playa del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to book a one week solo trip for this December. Although I'm not typically an AI person, there's a great rate for staying at Riu Tequila. I won't need transportation to and from the airport as it would be included. However, I to want to visit Chichen Itza, Tulum, and Coba. I'm tending towards renting a car for a couple days but have read some people recommend taking taxis instead. My Spanish is limited to very basic stuff like "como estas" so I'm a bit concerned about communicating while traveling to these sites (although it sure sounds like it won't be a problem in Playa).

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked into Edventure Tours?
http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/

YOu just tell them what you want to do and they arrange the day for you. They provide the driver and guide for your day.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM

A taxi to those places is going to cost a lot. There are different tour companies who offer tours to those areas. Some are larger with big buses and others are smaller with vans. One I used to Ek Balaam is Yukatreks. Small vans and great guides. If you decide to drive yourself make sure you know the rules of the road, how to navigate the gas stations (the gas stations are controlled by the gov't and are not as readily available as they are in the States), check every inch of the car for damage before you go including having a spare tire that is functional, license plates that are not expired, and a jack, and take the insurance coverage offered. You could also look into the bus system. The bus depot is on the corner of 5th Ave and Juarez.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM

All those hotels down there have day tour companies they can book you on that do those trips pretty good. I stayed in Playa del Carmen twice and took one to Chichen Itza and Tulum (sep. days), but I know they have ones to Coba and other places. They aren't that expensive.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
TC

Rent a car or take a taxi or use a tour company -- either would work. You will NOT have a problem with the language. All the taxi drivers speak English.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I've driven my own car in northern Mexico near the Arizona border but it sounds like a combination of tours and/or public transportation would work better for this trip.