Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Transportation options from SJ to Arenal (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/transportation-options-from-sj-to-arenal-923058/)

ttdragonfly Feb 7th, 2012 12:47 PM

Transportation options from SJ to Arenal

As that I have read so much as of late about this Wilson Rojas fellow, I thought I would look a little more into it.

I sent an email to inquire of his availability for our dates of travel and he is already booked. However Elsy has replied stating that they can get us an alternate driver of similar talents.

My question for those of you that have done this particular leg ( SJ to Arenal ), What are the benefits and drawbacks of a transfer like this? I am curious about costs as well. I have found the gray lines that is 44$ pp and another transfer co. that wold be 144$ for the three of us...any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

volcanogirl Feb 7th, 2012 02:35 PM

We just book a private driver through our hotels when we reserve them. A private driver usually runs about $140 to go from SJO to the Arenal area. The benefit of a private driver is that they work around your schedule, pick you up at the airport, and can act as a tour guide of sorts pointing out things along the way. They'll also stop for bathroom breaks, snacks, etc. whenever you want. Interbus is another shuttle that's popular, but with three people, I'd be just inclined to go with the private driver since the cost would run you about the same. The private driver charges a flat fee, not per person. The shuttles charge per person. We've had a driver wait hours for us at the airport when our flight was delayed - very nice not to have to worry about missing the shuttle. A lot of drivers will bring along a cooler of cool drinks or water too.

1bhcrashman Feb 7th, 2012 06:29 PM

Anyone that Elsy suggests would be fine. Not as good as Wilson but safe, friendly & reliable. Much more comfortable and personal than Interbus or Grayline.

hipvirgochick Feb 7th, 2012 07:10 PM

I've used Interbus a lot and have always enjoyed it.

Deb15July Feb 10th, 2012 05:16 PM

We were lucky enough to get Wilson for a transfer from BZE to Monteverde and again from Arenal to Alejuela. He does serve as a tour guide and will stop along the way for meals, etc. We ran into another driver at a restaurant on our way back to the San Jose area and I got the impression he worked for Wilson. I agree that any suggestions from Elsy would be fine. It is really nice to sit back and relax and not have to pay attention to the road!

qwovadis Feb 11th, 2012 01:20 AM

servicecarrental.com from $200 all in for a week of xport almost always best for me.roads paved easy can save a lot
great to have a car at arenal.net . Wilson is great price is fine. interbusonline.com also but will not save much.

qwovadis Feb 11th, 2012 01:23 AM

odysseytourscr.com Al/Diego get rave reviews here too.
tucanlimoserivices.com Luis touts as roadadvisor on TA
both also good reviews odds are no cheaper than Wilson though..

jdp867 Feb 11th, 2012 02:49 PM

We recently booked round trip transfers with Alberto Artavia ([email protected]). Alberto was very responsive by email and gave us a very competitive rate ($300 round trip from SJO to Manuel Antonio and from Manuel Antonio to Heredia. Our driver Emelio was prompt, professional and friendly. He also took us to a great soda for lunch about an hour from SJO). Also, Alberto's quote was about 25% less than Wilson's and about 20% less than Al/Diego.