Search

transportation in BA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transportation in BA

trying to figure out where to stay in Buenos Aires - it seems huge, so how is the transportation getting around the city to different areas? Or is there one best area to stay in that is the most central? We are interested in historic areas, funky neighborhoods and not interested in upscale shops, malls, etc. thank you
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:49 AM

transportation is good in general. there are quiet often some demostrations. if you like historic places which is sth i also enjoy, the older the better, i recommend the best bed and breakfast 5 * wow, fantastic, it is around 100 doll the night but believe it is a dream place with very nice decoration and a pool to splash in the evening. area. one of the oldest of the city, patios inside and wood pannelled rooms with king size beds and outstanding service.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:53 PM

90% of Buenos Aires is ugly concrete apartment buildings. There is nothing to see in the majority of the lower middle class neighborhoods. Every block looks the same.

As with European Cities, Buenos Aires for the tourist is only a small part of the town.

I strongly recomend staying in the downtown area somewhere within walking distance of Florida Street. It is a shopping district with no cars and lots of great people watching.

We liked the 4 star Amerian Hotel in BA. It costs about $75USD per night.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 01:34 AM

Travdis, I really disagree with you. I have been to Europe about 15 times and BA is so European with great architecture. You are painting a very negative picture of the place. Actually, I dont know if Florida St would be so great at night or not. We stayed in Palermo viejo and that was so great. Just a short metro ride to downtown and such a wonderful area to explore as well.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:01 AM

Hi Susan 300, transportation in Buenos AIres is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO inexpensive , that you can simply rely on radio taxis to go everywhere and to walk of course.
It is so simple to call a radio taxi, I call them from any of the zillon locutorios that are all over town.
or from a cafe. Actually in most cafes nd they are very nice and they let you call free .
I like it better to stay in a nice hotel in the main part of the city, I personally like the Argenta Tower and the Bel Air because I have stayed in both of them. I also tried the Design Suites, which although they have a great design, I thing not like that the wall between rooms are not thick enough.
I recommended for someone going alone, to choose a nice b&B like La Otra Orilla, it seems to me that if you are a woman alone, it will offer the nice posibility to interchange some conversation either with the owner ( 2 women in this place, mother and daughter) or with some of the guests around. B ut this ismy perception.
There are many other hotels which of course I do not know.
I have written many times in this forum that in Argentina things work differently and best rates can be obtained through a travel agent. You need a good travel agent, hones and personalized. I do not wish to be a fanatic of Wow but this is the only travel agency I tried and loved it.
The key regarding them ( Cintia) is that they put their heart in the services they offer. It is meanless to compare for instance a tour given by WOW with a tour in a big bus. Wow takes you on a chauffered car, they go over with you regarding your preferences etc, it is like visiting Buenos Aires with an old friend.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Transportation is cheap in BA. Cabs are reasonable, walking is also fun, and you will love the city. I prefer
SA to Europe anyday.........Don't listen to the negative comment.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 10:13 AM

About transportation. Taxis start at 1.44 pesos. A typical right is 5-6 pesos, or 2 dollars. The subway is very modern, especially line D that runs along Ave Santa Fe from downtown to Belgrano. The subway costs 75centavos, or about .25cents. Busses, called Collectivos, run everywhere....and the cost is about 80centavos...30 cents.....

Funk and history? That would be Palermo Hollywood, Soho, or Viejo...or Las Canitas...or San Telmo (be careful where you stay, some areas are dangerous at night).

I agree with triptaker. Don't let one negative post scare you away.