Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Transportation between Oaxaca & Huatulco (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/transportation-between-oaxaca-and-huatulco-946455/)

PapaG Aug 12th, 2012 03:49 PM

Transportation between Oaxaca & Huatulco

Can anyone advise what is the lowest cost of transportation between Oaxaca and Huatulco for a one week trip in January? We're thinking of 4 days in Oaxaca and 3 days in Huatulco.

Also, does anyone know of any Mexican cooking classes offered in Oaxaca in January?

And recommendations for a good mid-priced hotel in Oaxaca in historic district?

robertino Aug 13th, 2012 12:20 PM

Last time i looked, there were 2 options. The bus follows a tortuous route and takes 8 hours. Or you could fly. A few years ago there were small planes that would take you directly from Oaxaca to the coast. Not sure whether they still run those.

The short answer to your question is - the bus. But do you really want to spend that much time on a bus, with only a week?

I can definitely recommend the Casa del Sotano. Nice rooms. Very beautiful panoramic rooftop bar. Great location just a few blocks north of the zocalo.

Can't help with cooking classes but they should be very easy to find.

lawrenceturk Aug 13th, 2012 02:44 PM

I'm a homeownner in Huatulco, residing mid-Nov thru mid April yearly.s about a 6 hr trip. Check Ado Bus Lines.
http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/Destinos.jsp

There are also smaller "commuter" buses running daily over the mountain.
Cooking classes, iexpensive and very well attended, can be arranged at Chilli's and Chocolate,

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...rn_Mexico.html

operated by Alfredo and Jane, who also own Hemmingway's Bar& Cantina downtown, one of the best places to spend evenings with ex-pat locals, west about 3 blocks of the Zocolo.

One very nice thing about Crucucita/Huatulco area: Cabs are regulated and very inexpesive. $30Pesos (about $2.75usd)will take you almost anywhere in the community. Regardless of how many pasesengers.

As a seasoned local, I can say the drive to Haxaca City is a bitch! It basically knocks the hell out of a full day. Better to fly, but I think, stress think, flying is $125USD one way and the bus is $30USDs.

PapaG Aug 13th, 2012 03:48 PM

Thanks Robertino and Lawrenceturk. Doesn't sounds like we'll take the bus and maybe look into flights instead. Would you happen to know the name of the airlines?

Casa del Santano's website looked good, and we will look into that location in Oaxaca.

Looks like lots of options on cooking classes in Oaxaca. Have been to Huatulco before and remember that fares were reasonable. Looking forward to our trip in January!

Teri_Gunderson Aug 14th, 2012 11:14 AM

the travel options are the small white vans over the mountains - about $150 pesos
the first class overnight bus - goes around so less mountains - I think about 250 pesos
and flying - one hour - leaves early morning - Aerotucan - the flight from the US via United that comes out of Houston also goes to Huatulco - so perhaps fly in and take the bus up or reverse. Usually the same price as just in and out of Oaxaca city. (check flights to Puerto escondido also)
I believe Vivaaerobus flies from Mexico city to Huatulco but their site is not working for me right now. perhaps also look at Airtran.

a nice low price hotel in Oaxaca is Posada Nito - not fancy but clean with a cute courtyard - across the street is a good comedor with a cheap breakfast. a little more money is Hotel Danzu or its sister hotel Maela. closer and cheaper than soltano. There are really a lot of hotels just south of the zocolo that cater more to mexican families, have little web presence, are cheaper and nice. my favorite hotel is about 70 usd per night with breakfast - bugambillas b&B - there is a website for oaxaca b&bs

I have always recommended Casa de sabors for cooking classes. Also Mis recuerdos b&b has classes. Never heard any negatives. Seasons of my heart is more famous but is at least an hour out of town.

In Huatulco we usually stay in the Crucecita area - there are many low cost hotels. In Puerto escondido - the rockaway is basic but has a pool and is right on the beach. In san augustinillo is Mexico Linda - about 300 pesos - has great food but is basic.

you are going to wish you could be here longer. I often bring groups down and we don't start to cover the city in 10 days. It's a beautiful and wonderful place. Eat in the comedors for good cheap food - look for Mexicans but not before 2 or 3 - I love the pozole and tacos just across from the ADO station - furthest to the west. Tacos Alvaro also has good tacos and pozole. Case del tio guero on Calle G. Vigil is very good and it offers a one price meal all day - about 60 pesos. It's very close to the B. Juarez house. Try eating at the mercao 20th of Nov in the section where they cook the meat. It's confusing but they are very helpful. Pick meat, add roasted onions, buy some tortillas and a salsa and enjoy!!! At the zocolo, Terra Nova is my favorite - I've never heard of anyone having a problem there. Starting at 2 each day they have a wonderful comida corrida (menu of the day) Includes beverage, large soup, main plate, dessert and coffe for about 65 pesos. We eat there often to enjoy watching the people. If you go and see an old couple with a black and white rat terrier - 5hat's us.
have a great vacation

PapaG Aug 15th, 2012 04:59 PM

Teri - Wow, lots of information.... it's always so good to get an "insiders" point of view. Thank you so much! I'll print this all out and bring it with for reference when we go on our trip. The hotel recommendations are appreciated too.

I'm sure we are going to wish we will be there longer than a week, but time is short and there is always the following year. We will keep our eyes out for you and the little terrior. Thanks again!

Little_Man Aug 16th, 2012 04:51 PM

My son just returned from a 2 week trip from the area. On the way to Puerto Escondido, he and his friend took the van option.

They said it was a terrifying almost nightmarish ride with a crazy driver. (These are 20 something adventurous kids and they were still scared to death and car sick.)

On the return to Oaxaca they flew by small plane, and said it was the best money they spent on the trip -- very much worth the extra pesos.

springstraveler Sep 3rd, 2012 08:23 PM

Hi
You can fly Aero Tucan to Hualtulco or Puerto Escondido. It is about $150 round trip. A beautiful 1/2 hour flight over the mountains and coastline with white sand beaches. AND, far easier than the tortuous bus ride where they give you dramamine to survive the 8 hours without throwing up.

A wonderful cooking class is Pilar's. It is in a beautiful setting with a trip to a colorful market and a lovely lunch. For January make reservations before you go.
La Casa de los Sabores Cooking School is on Google

springstraveler Sep 3rd, 2012 08:36 PM

I forgot to mention that Pilar Cabrera's family own 2 lovely B&Bs. La Casa de los Sabores and Casa Las Bugambillas. Both in great locations close to the center of "everything". The breakfasts are delicious.
Another hotel recommendation in a good location is Casa de los Frailes. Very lovely -- Historically decorated and near the restore monastery/convent/gardens next to Santo Domingo.

ekscrunchy Jan 17th, 2014 06:16 AM

Wondering about any updates to the transportation between OAX and Huatulco. We plan 6 nights in the city of Oaxaca (have been many times before but not in years..). I think my travel partner might like to see the glories of the Mexican Pacific, which seems to be more or less of a secret outside this general area. (For example, I know few people from my home town who have even heard of Huatulco, and the general knowledge seems to center around the tragic Francisco Goldman memoir that takes place a short distance away....great book but sad, sad, sad..)

I do not want to repeat the bus ride from OAX to Huatulco; but does it make sense to fly from the city to Huatulco and then go on to Miami from there? That might give me 4 nights in OAX and two in Huatulco....

Just musing at this point..trip is planned for next month and we already have B&B booked in Oaxaca city......

Anything else I should plan in advance? (After reading Calvin Trillin on La Teca, with food from the Isthmus has made its way onto my short list!) Do I need to book any restaurant ahead of time?

Anyone know a private guide with decent English who can take the two of us to one or two markets and speak very knowledgeably about the food products found there? And maybe sniff out some great lamb barbecue on the weekend?

Just to be clear, I have spent many weeks in Oaxaca but this was long ago, and partner has never been. I speak fluent Spanish, learned in Mexico, if that helps.