Transit-Mexico City 4 Hours

Jul 9th, 2015, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Transit-Mexico City 4 Hours

HI I am looking at a flight from IAH to CUZ. One of the stops is in MEX, on the return flight the layover in MEX is 4 hours. Will this be enough to clear immigration and customs and catch my next flight? My ticket is round trip but found on kayak so it includes different airlines, will I be able to check a bag all the way to my final destination across multiple carriers or will I have to collect it at my stop in MEX. I've read things about MEX being a bad airport for a stop because of immigration and customs. So I wasn't sure how much time I should have for the stop to be safe and not miss my next flight. The flight out of MEX is with Aeromexico and I was told they would not put me on the next flight without paying again if I miss it. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jul 9th, 2015, 04:00 AM

If you are just connecting between international flights, then you shouldn't have to go through immigration and customs. That said, we were just in MEX and it took immigration and customs took all of 10 to 15 minutes. You may or may not be able to check your bags through depending on the airlines you are flying on.
Jul 9th, 2015, 08:41 AM

4 hours should be enough to do anything in any international airport (would be my point of view).

But how your checked luggage will route is something to ask the various airlines specifically.
Jul 9th, 2015, 08:19 PM

Ditto above. What airport takes that amount of time? And any time you change airlines, you have to fetch your bags unless their in cahoots with each other. As far as MEX being a bad airport for immigration, you're confused. It's a horrible airport for sleeping in.
Jul 19th, 2015, 09:29 AM

I know Mexico City is one of the largest cities in the world, but the airport sure didn't seem like it to me (nothing like HEathrow, CDG, Chicago, etc.). It seems relatively small and easy.

I also cannot imagine any airport in the world where 4 hours wouldn't be enough to change planes, even if coming from Peru and going to the US and you have to move your bag. It's not like you have to change terminals by bus or anything, like you do at Heathrow.

I don't think we can tell you what your bag situation will be, just ask the airlines you have a ticket on.