Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Train to the Clouds (Tren de las Nubes) (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/train-to-the-clouds-tren-de-las-nubes-495703/)

Aunt_A Jan 15th, 2005 02:56 PM

Train to the Clouds (Tren de las Nubes)

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who took this journey. Was it worth 15 hours of your time? Was the train well equipped and comfortable? Was the food decent and ample? Did anyone suffer from altitude sickness, and if so, how uncomfortable was it, and how long to recuperate? Did you need advance reservations?

As you can tell from this posting, I'm considering taking the train. Thanks for any information!

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jan 15th, 2005 05:10 PM

Yes, to all your questions about the facilities on board the train. The food was fine, but nothing overly special.

There is a medical car equipped with oxygen in case any passenger suffers from altitude sickness.

But 15 hours is a long time. The trip up is exciting. The trip back seems to take forever. That was my only complaint.

christophe Jan 16th, 2005 10:09 PM

I concur with most of what Jeff says except there was very little food on offer but then it's not a good idea to eat too much so as avoid altitude sickness. From what I could gather altitude sickness affects very few people but we did experience a "sort of giddy" feeling.

We also found the return journey long but this was relieved to some degree by some live entertainment. BTW, word spread that we were from South Africa and were expected to take part in the entertainment as was another couple from Italy. Fortunately, my wife "saved" us.

We went on the first Saturday in October 2004 and based on the fact that the train was full I'd say reservation was essential. It cost ARG$189 per person.

To summarise I'd say that it wasn't the sensation we expected but we certainly didn't regret making the trip.

Aunt_A Jan 17th, 2005 04:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. Question: In retrospect, if you had time for 1 full day trip, would you do the train again or some other tour, like the 4 wheel drive tours that basically cover a similar route?

christophe Jan 17th, 2005 10:34 PM

That's a tough choice for me - I have an affection for trains but if I have to be honest with myself then I'd say a tour by car (a 4x4 is not necessary) is better value. This is especially so if after following the train to that huge viaduct (can't remember it's name) you go on to Salinas Grandes and Purmamarca. If I remember correctly, this day trip gets you back to Salta at about 8pm (instead of 11pm on the train) which should give you time to go to a restaurant that features live Andean music - another must do!

BTW, if photography is important to you and you decide to go by car then try to do it on the same day as the train (usually a Saturday) i.e. include the train in your pictures.

alan64 Jul 4th, 2007 07:50 AM

Can anyone confirm what day (or days) of the week the Tren de las Nubes runs in mid-April?

mjs Jul 4th, 2007 09:19 AM

It is not working at this times although apparently there are plans to reopen this summer.

flintstones Jul 4th, 2007 02:39 PM

NObody knows when the trin will run again. I would not make my plans based on the train if I were you. The trucks are in really in bad conditions. In July 2005 it broke down in the nçmiddle of Viaducto La Polvorilla and people have almost frozen at 4224 mts of altitude. There were 63 mts from the ground to the rails, up there... People had to overnight with no heating. Not many people americans knw about this, but 514 passengers spent the nigth there and thys should have rescued that very day. The trains used to pass on the worldwide famous bridge at 14:10!!! It is a shame...
Definitelly, I do not recommend the train to my friends.
And I would prefer to see the SAlt Flats from Purmamarca. Americans do not like so much bumping in the dust. The paved road is mcuh more enjoyable.
Warm regards.
Angie