tour of Cozumel

Old Oct 31st, 2013, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tour of Cozumel

I am taking a cruise and will have one day in Cozumel. Since I have never been there I would like to take a tour of Cozumel and would like recommendations. There would be three to five people.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 03:19 AM

get in a car and drive around?
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 04:50 AM

Not a whole lot to see in Cozumel except the beaches. You could always rent a convertible VW and drive around the island. Stop over at Coconuts (south end) for a bite to eat and the view of the crasning waves. You could also stop over at the small archeological site on your way back, not all that impresive but again, you can say that you've been there. Back in the city, wellll... shopping is a big thing there !
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM

My sister had the same question.

I found her some information online, printed a couple maps, and had her get a taxi. They went into downtown and got dropped off, did some shopping, had a nice lunch, and I think she there was a museum or something like that they also included.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 10:09 AM

Cozumel is a small city. As you get off the main pier,(arriving from your cruise ship) you are already smack dab in the city core where everything takes place, restaurants, shopping, beaches and more. Everything is within walking distance, absolutely no need for a taxi here... Just be warned that you will be swarmed by all kinds of people trying to sell you something (on the pier). Some do offer discount tickets and maps for free, take them but do not commit until you guys decide what you want to do or see. There is a small park right across the street, take a breather and then decide where to go.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM

San Miguel is the main town in Cozumel. We visited this summer and arrived by ferry, we were not swarmed by anyone trying to sell anything. We rented a jeep and drove around the island, there isn't much to see and half a day is about enough.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
TC

There are actually two cruise ship piers, so whether you are "smack dab in the city core" depends on which pier your ship parks. If you stay near the pier, you may be mildly hassled. Just say no thank you.

My suggestion....for an island tour ( just a drive around the island) pick a taxi/van, ask the driver if he speaks English, negotiate a fare and have a nice day.

What else would you like to do?
- snorkel / diving
- lunch on a beach
- Mayan ruins
- wind surf
- shopping
- beach club
- photo class & tour
- cooking class

If you give me some of your preferences, I will try to help with suggestions. We spend a month on Cozumel every winter.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM

TC is right,wether you spend a month or a year on Cozumel does not change a whole lot. I used to live in Playa del Carmen and I can assure you that aside from CARNAVAL WEEK (early februrary) there is not a whole lot to do or see in Cozumel except for what is mentioned above.
Pick out what you think is best for you and make the best of it...
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 06:18 AM
TC

Rohelio....you make Cozumel sound so boring. I think the things listed above are a whole lot of something to do. Enough that its kept us coming back for more than 20 years. I've made one trip to Playa and was so turned off by a tout in a souvenir shop with a baby African lion on a chain, that I vowed never to return.

BTW: Carnaval is in March this year. The date changes year to year based on Easter.

To each his own, I guess. Looks like the OP has moved on without replying anyway. Oh well.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 08:57 AM

Sorry if I offended you TC, certainly not my intention but merely my personal opinion in regards to my experiences in Cozumel.
You are also right about me finding Cozumel boring... Having lived in Playa, I have been to the island on several occasions and it basically comes around to the same old same old !
Yes, Carnaval does change every year because of "la semana Santa" but I dont understand how relevant that is when it comes to giving my opinion to a fellow blogger upon visiting the island for a day !!! I am sure that we can go on with this for quite a while but how would this be helpful to the person looking to be informed.
Lastly, I do agree about being offended on the exploitation of baby tigers and lions on 5th ave. but that would in no way limit me to visiting or living in such a beautiful part of Mexico. I can't help but wonder what you are doing in Mexico if you are so easily offended by their culture and way of life, it may be for the best that you remain on Cozumel island.
To each his own, I guess !
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
TC

" I can't help but wonder what you are doing in Mexico if you are so easily offended by their culture and way of life"

Exploiting African animals is neither the culture or the way of life of Mexico.

"but I dont understand how relevant that is when it comes to giving my opinion to a fellow blogger upon visiting the island for a day"

If you are going to tell someone that Cozumel is less boring during "early February" for Carnaval, but Carnaval isn't until March, won't they be misinformed and very disappointed having missed it?

"....... it may be for the best that you remain on Cozumel island.

Why segregate me to Cozumel island? Don't you consider that a part of Mexico too?

The OP asked about Cozumel. Whether you find it boring or not, it's where they will be. Why post if you have nothing to offer?
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 06:36 AM

One option which is a bit more adventurous is to rent scooters. We did this and had a blast. The entire island can be circumnavigated in a 1/2 day. The beaches and bars on the East side are more rustic than the West side, which is where San Miguel and the cruise piers are.

Also, contrary to the above, there is a pier for smaller ships near downtown, but the main pier for most of your larger ships is 2 miles (or 3.5 km) to the south of downtown, just far enough away not to be within walking distance. You may wish to get with the crusie line before hand to inquire which pier they wil be using, and if the southern one, does the line offer a shuttle to downtown? Doubt it, but quesitons are free.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 11:04 PM

I would recommend taking a custom private jeep tour where your able to completely customize your entire day the way you like. We absolutely loved it, and so does everyone else that we hear from that takes this excursion in Cozumel Mexico. So no matter what you like to do they can accomodate. We paid less than $70 per person and lunch, beer, entrance fee to punta sur park and some other cool things were included. We got our own private guide and got to roam around island doing what we like without having to wait for anyone else because it was just the three of us. Highly recommend doing this!