Torres del Paine, Chiloe, SouthernChile

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Roshan

Torres del Paine, Chiloe, SouthernChile

Hi! We would be grateful for tips on how to book a stay at Hosteria Pehoe in Torres del Paine; also insights into Chiloe - best reasonable lodging (we will have a car). Is<BR>it worth flying from Punta Arenas to Ushuia and back .. or is it better to take the 4 or 7 day cruise over? Thanks very much

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:00 PM
tutu

Roshan, can't answer your specific questions but we flew from Puerto Mont to Punta Arenas - spent a night and took a bus to Puerto Natales where we based ourselves. Lucky to hook up with a small intrepid group of travellers and a local tour office for a trip into Torres de la Paine and another day on a boat for the glaciers. Wish I can remember the hotel or the tourism office but everyone very helpful and friendly. The park is stunning and the lack of tourists (this was about 4 years ago) was a treat.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Joel

Can't tell you about Hosteria Pehoe, but the Hosteria de los Torres was really nice. Right under the Torres, but a long, great hike up and back. <BR>Worth going to Ushuaia; we flew from BA. Probably more dramatic scenery if you take the cruise from Punta Arenas - great fjords and sights

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:05 PM
meghan

My husband and I went to Chile 2 years ago for a 2 week vaction. My advise to you is to NOT waste your time going to Chiloe. We drove to Castro and were very disappointed - NOTHING special (maybe that's why it wasn't noted at at all in our Fodor's book). We arrived in Santiago and rented a car and drove everywhere - this is where we went:<BR>- Zapallar, on the coast (Hotel Isla Seca - NICE, EXPENSIVE, RELAXING) <BR>- Andes Mountains (stayed at Cascada de las Animas - GREAT! and CHEAP! - river rafting, horseback riding)FUN, DIFFERENT<BR>- Pucon, in the Lake District - very nice (Hotel Antumalal - VERY NICE, EXPENSIVE)<BR>- Puerto Varas (Hotel Merlin - CHEAP and FABULOUSLY MAGNIFICENT FOOD!!) I would not visit Purto Varas except to eat at Merlins. <BR>- Chiloe (Hosteria Castro, Unicornio Azul) - DON'T BOTHER GOING TO CHILOE - DISAPPOINTMENT. <BR>- We then dropped car off in Puerto Montt and flew back up to Santiago.<BR><BR>good luck! Meghan

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:30 PM
meghan

I'm looking to return to Chile and want to go to Tores del Paine. Does anyone know of any flight consolidators or travel agencies focusing on this area and offer good airfares?<BR><BR>thx

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:26 AM
connie

Hi!! i work in a travel agency here in santiago-chile.If you need any recomendation pls let me know.<BR>regards<BR>connie

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:36 AM
santiago

as advertisement is not allowed in this forum, please contact me for giving the info about Hosteria Pehoe and other alternatives.<BR><BR>Regarding Chiloe, all depends on what you are expecting to see. Chiloe was an isolated zone during 3 centuries under the spaniard domain. Thus, a special culture was developed. The magic of Chiloe is discovered when you sail the islands of the archipelago, great landscapes, you can visit the churchs that recently were nominated Humanity Patrimony, know about culture, and visit unspoiled zones. <BR><BR>I strongly suggest to take the cruise, something expensive but amazing.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Monica

Roshan, just do a search on the hotel's name. I found that there wasn't much variance in pricing within the park, & there are several places you can book online.<BR>Meghan, we found the best in-country deal right through Lan-Chile. They had a Chile pass that was very inexpensive. This was 2 years ago, but I think we only paid about $150 each to go Santiago to Puerto Varas to Punta Arenas & back to Santiago. We had to buy it here (by calling their office in LA), then go to the Lan Chile office in Santiago to pick specific flights once we were there. Try their website.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 02:55 AM
xxx

ttt