Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Too many choices - I give up - help!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/too-many-choices-i-give-up-help-394738/)

bahamas Jul 14th, 2008 09:52 AM

Too many choices - I give up - help!!

Okay I am usually a thief. I read and then never write after I steal other people's great stays etc. I need help though - after planning most of my honeymoon to Argentina (Greece got scrapped with euro and airline rates) I can't decide which hotel to stay in, in Buenos Aires. This is for the end of Novemeber 24th - 30th. I like the Sofitel and the Marriott plaza for large hotels and Legado Mitico for a boutique hotel. Its honeymoon so I really want to stay somewhere nice but I can't decide between Boutique hotel or large chain hotel so if anybody can help me make up my mind which is usually so decisive I would appreciate it. I don't think I care about room service etc, I do like classic hotels which is why I picked Legado over other boutique hotels that seemed too modern in decoration to me.
After Buenos Aires we are planning to go to an estancia 50km outside of BA called Estancia Villa Maria and then on to the Llao Llao in the patagonia.

ahc Jul 14th, 2008 10:02 AM

I would recommend any of the hotels that are located along Puerto Madero, there are several but the only name I can remember is the Hilton. It's quieter, very romantic, and very well located. It's quite expensive, but no more then the Marriott.

teach2travel Jul 14th, 2008 10:17 AM

I stayed at the Marriott 2 weeks ago. It is very nice and the staff are very helpful. It is a great location for being able to stroll to shops or restaurants without a taxi etc. I found the service to be very good - helpful, but not intrusive.

The places on Puerto Madero looked very nice. The Faena Universe seems to be the flagship.

You can't go wrong with a trip to Argentina. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

owlwoman Jul 14th, 2008 11:09 AM

I agree, we've stayed at the Marriott twice and been really pleased. For a first trip to BA it's a great location. We had a suite last time, it was very nice.

Besides, the honeymoon will really start when you get to the Llao Llao, it's a very special place!

I'd be curious to hear about Villa Maria, we almost stayed there on our last trip, but it did not work out. The web-site makes the place look really nice.

mjs Jul 14th, 2008 12:23 PM

The Sofitel near the Recoleta is very nice and small.
More like a boutique hotel than a major chain.
Excellant service and friendly staff.

christregs Jul 14th, 2008 10:15 PM

I stayed at Legado Mitico in April and can't recommend it highly enough! I went w/ a friend but can see a honeymoon there being very romantic! It's just beautifully designed, thoughtfully laid out and in such a great area to walk around.

I think you would want one of the larger rooms however if you do decide to stay there. Believe some actor had taken up residence on the top floor while we were there....

bahamas Jul 15th, 2008 10:19 AM

Thank you all very much for your help. I think I am going to book at Legado Mitico. I will definatly post my trip report this time.

drdawggy Jul 16th, 2008 05:46 AM

I stayed at the Legado Mitico in Salta last month. It is a wonderful hotel. I have heard the Legado Mitico in Palermo is even nicer, if that is possible!

I have also stayed at the Marriott and loved it...rooms matter at the Marriott. Some rooms have been updates and have outstanding views of Plaza San Martin and other rooms need updating and have no view.

All-in-all...I would say Palermo Soho is a better location for a couple on their honeymoon....but it has been so long since I went on a honeymoon my memory fades.....

drdawggy Jul 16th, 2008 05:47 AM

Oh...llao llao is a perfect choice....the location is fabulous and the service second to none...

bahamas Jul 16th, 2008 06:02 PM

Just to let you all that helped me know I ended up booking at Legado Mitico - I hope it was the right choice. At this point there seem to be so many wonderful choices in Buenos Aires (everytime I read a post or another comment in a guide book I flip flop) it was hard to choose but that's how it goes!!!

PatRode Sep 23rd, 2008 09:16 AM

Bahamas,

How did you like Legado Mitico? I"m considering it for my trip in November, but am not sure because it's more expensive than my other choices.