Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   To book or not to book near Machu Picchu (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/to-book-or-not-to-book-near-machu-picchu-259951/)

Kelly Sep 21st, 2002 06:26 PM

To book or not to book near Machu Picchu

I plan to visit Machu Picchu via the 4-hour hike from KM 104, stay the night as close as possible, and watch the sun rise over the ruins. Do I try to book a hotel now, or will the local tour operator include lodgings when we get up there? The last thing I want to do is get up there, be stuck without reservations, and need to come back down before nightfall!

Fay Sep 22nd, 2002 03:23 AM

When you get there it is possible nothing will be available. Why are you asking such question? You already know that if you don't want to be stuck without reservations you have to reserve ahead. Don't wait for somebody's permission. Just do it and have a great time when you get there. Be careful in Lima.

x Sep 23rd, 2002 07:48 AM

Fay<BR><BR>Why careful in Lima? Will be making first trip soon.

Luci Sep 23rd, 2002 05:26 PM

If you do not speak Spanish, you should be careful in Lima. There is a lot of poverty and unemployment is at 50%. Given that, Lima is a beautiful city, although it has seen better days. Visit the Gold Museum, Barranco, Pedro de Osma museum, Miraflores and the beaches. If you are a gringo or gringa, stay in Miraflores and tour the city with a guide.

Karen Sep 28th, 2002 11:51 AM

Kelly,<BR>We just returned from 3 weeks in Peru. If you have your heart set on seeing MP at sunrise (which is awesome!), make reservations before you go just so you don't have to worry. We stayed at the Machu Picchu Inn in Aguas Caliente and it was lovely. Aguas Caliente is only a 15 minute bus ride from MP, but make sure you arrive early for the first bus (5:30) as it fills up fast. <BR><BR>With that said, there are many, many local tour operators and many hotels in Aguas Caliente. Depending on the time of year, there may or may not be rooms available.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can help more.<BR><BR>Karen

Kelly Oct 2nd, 2002 06:21 PM

Karen -<BR><BR>I appreciate the advice. I'm not against making reservations; I just didn't know whether they were usually included with tours. Needless to say, I am in the very early stages of planning!<BR><BR>Kelly

lani Oct 4th, 2002 12:19 PM

we went to machu picchu and emptied the piggy bank to stay at the hotel at the top - a definite must - when the tourists leave there you are with the whole place to yourselves - sunset, the moon the sunrise the next morning - you can hike to see where the inca trail ends - just awesome - don't miss it

christopher Oct 7th, 2002 09:36 AM

<BR> hi there i have a friend in peru who is a travel agent he can give you all kind of information this is his m ail<BR> [email protected]<BR> yours<BR> chris