tipping in costa rica

Jun 27th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

tipping in costa rica

I talked to a co-worker who is from Costa Rica and she said that you don't need to tip in Costa Rica, that it is not expected and included in the prices. What is your experience with that?

Thanks,

Kellie
Jun 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM

A 10% service charge will be included in your restaurant bill. You don't need to tip above and beyond that, but leaving a bit extra if you received good service is always appreciated.

I think tiping a tour guide has become the expected norm. The person who carries your bags to your hotel room and the housekeeper who cleans your room have come to expect tips as well.
Jun 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Did not tip above the 10% service charge in restaurants (would have if exceptional service).
It is now the norm and expected to tip guides. However, we did not tip owners of the tours/lodges.
Jun 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM

We tip. And, often. Consider that a few dollars to you means so much more to those whose primary (Ticos, as a nation) income is from tourism and consumers of their lush "gardens", e.g.: coffee, palms.
Jun 28th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I tipped guides, maids, porters and for taxi drivers & waiters I usually just rounded up the fare/bill.