Notices

Timing of Guatemala Trip

Jul 19th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Timing of Guatemala Trip

We usually take a vacation in February or March, and we've been planning to go to Guatemala. We'd have 2 weeks and we'll definitely go to Antigua, Tikal and Lake Atitlan. Today I was told that I'm unlikely to get time off then because of a large project that I'll be working on. The vacation 'embargo' is probably February through April, so I'm looking at moving the trip up. I'm now thinking of 2 weeks in November or mid-January. (I don't think we'd want to go in December - we're already booked to visit my family on the west coast at Christmas.)

I know it's impossible to predict, but historically, in terms of weather, is there likely to be a significant difference between November & January? I've already done a fair amount of reading, but to be honest, I didn't really look at weather. I think that hurricane season usually ends by November, and that's about all I know.

As well as the places I've mentioned, I think we'd want to visit one more place. I was thinking of Rio Dulce or Semuc Champey, although if someone has other ideas, we're certainly open. We thought we'd do a day trip from Atitlan to Chichicastenango rather than staying there. Monterrico is another possibility, but it doesn't really look all that appealing to me.

Thanks.
Jul 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM

In a typical year, November and January weather don't differ too much. The rainy season has begun to wind down by November, but it can last until the end of the month at Tikal. There would be the big difference between those two months.
Jul 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jeff. I also posted on Lonely Planet and people there were saying that January would be better. So now I just have to confirm the schedule for my project and book the time!
Jul 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM

The last two years we went in early Feb. Tikal can get pretty warm so having some clouds around might not be a bad thing. We didn't have any rain on either trip, just clouds and the temps were very comfortable in Tikal. We did have sun in the other places but the temps were comfortable.

We are planning on the Rio Dulce area for our next trip.

Search this Thread