Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Tikal from Antigua, San Ignacio or Belize City?
Notices

Tikal from Antigua, San Ignacio or Belize City?

Nov 19th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Tikal from Antigua, San Ignacio or Belize City?

I'm planning a trip to the Yucatan in Jan and plan to visit: San Ignacio for rain forest stay, Ambergris Caye for snorkelling, Tikal for ruins and Antigua for city plus volcano trek. Any advice on route and places to stay, spefically, which location is it cheapest/quickest to visit Tikal from?
Thanks
Nov 19th, 2003, 06:42 AM

San Ignacio, Belize, is only an hour and a half by car from Tikal -- far closer than any of the other locations. Antigua is probably 10 hours from Tikal by bus. You can fly from Belize City to Flores/Tikal and also from Guatemala City.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Nov 19th, 2003, 07:17 AM

If you start in the Yucatan (Mexico) I'd enter Belize at the border and fly from Corozal to Ambergris. Ambergris to San ignacio byboat or plane and road. Road from San Ignacio to Tikal. You can travel by road to antiqua, but can fly from Flores/Tiklal to Guatemala City and then drive 45 mins to antiqua. For high end in Antigua, I love Santa Domingo and Posada Los Angeles. Too many hotels in Belize for me to start suggesting any without more specific info.
Nov 20th, 2003, 05:11 AM

Antigua to Flores was about US$55 on Tikal jets. Bus trip from Antigua to Flores is nearer 16 hours through bandit country.

Search this Thread