Tikal

Jul 24th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Tikal

I would like to go see Tikal while I am in Belize. We are staying in Ambergris for most of our time, so I have several questions about how to best structure this part of my trip. I am traveling with 7-8 adults and one toddler.

1. How far is the drive from Belize City to San Ignacio?
2. From San Ignacio, how far is it to Tikal?
3. If we have a rental car, should we leave it in S/I and have someone transport us to the Guat border and then to Tikal?
4. Another option if we end up with only one day and one night is to just go straight to Tikal (forgo S/I) to maximize time there?
5. If we go straight to Tikal, should I arrange transportation from B/C to Tikal, or should I go with a rental and leave it somewhere near Belize/Guat border?

Thanks so much for input, suggestions!!
--Natalie.

Jul 25th, 2005, 05:07 AM

The drive from Belize City to San Ignacio is around 1 3/4 hours, on an okay, paved two-laned road. Watch for topes and also this road can be slick after rain.

From San Ignacio to Tikal, maybe an hour and half, depending on road conditions (part of the road in Guatemala is not paved).

You could leave your car at the border during the day. I probably wouldn't leave it overnight. All in all, better to leave it at a hotel in San Ignacio and take a bus or collective to the border.

You can cross the border and find a taxi/shuttle van to take you to Flores or Tikal. Much, much cheaper than doing it from Belize City or from San Ignacio. If money is no object, you can fly from Belize City to Flores on Tropic or Maya Island. Tikal Jets was doing this route three times a week, but I think they've stopped.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Search this Thread