Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Tigre day trip from Buenos Aires public train vs tourist train ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Last year when I visited BA I took a public train between BA and Tigre. I see there is another option, a more touristy option called "Tren de la Costa".
http://www.trendelacosta.com.ar/
Has anybody done this ? is it over-the-top tourist ? how long does it stop at each station ? Any thoughts would be great

thanks
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:12 PM

It's not a tourist train, it's just a scenic route train that runs along the river. It's more expensive than the regular train, significantly - the regular train is, I believe, under 2 pesos each way, and the Tren de la Costa, for non-residents, was 12 pesos roundtrip the last time we took it (8 for residents), I think it's gone up since then. Still, that's not a huge amount of money for a day trip. The train only stops for a moment or so at each of the half dozen stops - no more than a standard sort of subway stop. One plus is that with a ticket purchased at either end you can get on and off at any of the in-between stations without additional charge, and there are some pretty suburban towns to explore along the way.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the the advice saltshaker ! We going to make use of this train for the journey to Tigre and return on the noreal railway.
How did you get from BA downtown to where the Tren de la Costa starts ?
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

saltshaker, sorry, I did not see you comments on another posting regarding the same topic, so its no need to answer the above question. Thanks for all the info!

cobus
South Africa
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM

We just got back from there 2 weeks ago and we took the tourist train up to Tigre and on the way back took the direct train. I'm so glad we took the tourist train up, it was a nice trip and I think we would have been disapointed if we only took the direct train up. Our door man at the Art Suites gave us a home made map of the trip and told us to get off in his town and have lunch. It was a charming town, great place for lunch and well worth the trip!