Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica! JW Marriott or Hilton Papagayo???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are going on a honeymoon to Guanacaste in October. We were originally set on an all inclusive until we realized we wouldn't be in the hotel all week to take advantage of the package (excursions, surfing, etc). So now we are looking at the JW. We want to explore plenty and try the local cuisine but still be able to relax at the resort without spending hundreds of dollars each day. We want to be reasonably near hiking tours, surfing beaches, etc.

We are worried about the location of the JW...its seems to be really far from everything. Does anyone know if the Hilton is in a better location? Also, were worried that the rooms are outdated at the Hilton-we've read some really good and some really bad reviews.

If you've stayed at either of these please give us some guidance!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 08:03 AM

I've not stayed at either, but live in Nosara (2 hours south of Tamarindo) and visit Tamarindo sometimes. Both of those hotels are a little isolated. Have you considered Capitan Suizo? A lovely spot for a honeymoon and closer to activities in town.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

NO...I havent even heard of it but it looks beautiful. Is it closer to most hiking, surfing, etc?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Both are great resorts, The Hilton has a unique landscape in front of Papagayo Gulf and high quality bungalow style rooms.
check out www.hiltonpapagayoresort.com

JW Marriott is newer and closer to surfing beaches Tamarindo.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Will you be renting a car? If so, I don't think the location of the JW would be an issue. It's a beautiful property. The beach right in front is rocky but if you walk down a little, it's better for swimming & pretty secluded. Walking in the opposite direction would bring you to Playa Avellanas which is great for surfing. There's also a place to eat there called Lola's. It will be a little bit of a drive to other activities beyond Tamarindo but I would choose it over the Hilton. If you're looking to surf, you won't be able to do that at the Hilton since it's on the gulf.

I haven't seen Capitan Suizo but it gets good reviews too.