Thinking of Vacation in CR-need help

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:55 AM
jake

Thinking of Vacation in CR-need help

I am thinking of heading to CR in the end of March with a couple of friends and have some very basic questions. Is it an expensive place? Is renting a car the way to see the island and how much is that? Can you do a lot of self-guided tours or is it worth it to have a guided tour, if so are they expensive? As you can see, price is one of my concerns. I also want to make sure that this will be a trip where we can plan it on our own. We would love to see the rain forrests, hike, snorkel, swim. If anyone has any insight, please share. TYVM!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 02:27 PM
melinda

It's been 6 yrs. since we were there, but renting a car is for the adventurous. Getting out of San Jose was a little tricky; So. of Limon was washed out & slow. If you have time, it's a great way to see it all from coast to coast. And the affordable way. If you want names of some off the beaten path places, let me know.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Costa Rica?

Jake, you wrote:
"Is renting a car the way to see the island......"
By "CR" are you referring to the country of Costa Rica?
If so, please be aware it is NOT an ISLAND.

I think you need to visit your library or book store and read a guide book for budget travel to whichever country you are planning to visit.
You have very basic questions and they will all be answered (including those you didn't ask) in a guide book.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 05:25 PM
hallzeee

forget 9/11 and loonie. landing in Cr Mar 1 to 15th. Any suggestions on places to stay? liberia side?
len
Canada

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:09 AM
sandy schaub

hi
the first time we went to costa rica and rented a car from san jose to drive to carillo (136) miles was quite an unexpected rough 6 hour drive. the roads are bad. the second time we went last march we flew sansa to tamarindo.loved it there.small town,nice beach,hotels.and people.stayed at the hotel pasatiempo for $65.00 night. 5 munutes to the beach and real nice place. check it out. c.r is not expensive if you go to the right places.in carillo we rented a mansion for 4 of us for $750.00 a week. maid, groundsman,guard dog. also we paif &950.00 for a car for a week.we will never rent a car again. we took taxi/s and the owner of our hotel took us places,golfing,ect. the toen of flamingo is right up the road. that is real nice too. good luck to you. let me know what else i can help you with. i love talking about costa rica
sandy schaub