Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Thinking of a trip to Playa del Carmen (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/thinking-of-a-trip-to-playa-del-carmen-222535/)

TT May 19th, 2002 07:29 PM

Thinking of a trip to Playa del Carmen

Hi everyone- My family is thinking of going on a trip to Playa del Carmen, but I've heard recently that it has become almost as touristy as Cancun. Is this true? If so, are there other locales in Mexico that are still unspoiled by the ubiquitous tourist? Thanks in advance!

Diane May 19th, 2002 10:02 PM

No....not by a very long shot. Playa del Carmen is more touristy than some of the very tiny towns along the Mayan Riviera but to say that it's like Cancun isn't true. Cancun resembles Las Vegas...but on the ocean and Playa Del Carmen still looks like a little town. I'd say it's about the right size but if you want very tiny, you could try further south...places like Akumal or Tulum. Personally, they don't have quite enough interesting stuff for my taste but many people enjoy them. For a first trip, I'd recommend seeing Playa Del Carmen and using it as a home base (stay anywhere within a 20 minute car ride) and then see other areas further away if you want to "check them out". In fact, some of the resorts just outside Playa del Carmen might suit you very nicely. I recommend the Barcelo Maya Beach resort because it's within 20 minutes of Playa Del Carmen (for shopping, etc.) but it's all by itself in a beautiful bay....a very nice tropical paradise and wonderful for families!!! From the Barcelo, you can try Playa del Carmen or Akummal/Tulum areas for day trips. Try it, you'll like it!!

Eileen May 20th, 2002 07:32 AM

Went in April, stayed at the Shangri-La Caribe just north of town and Royal Hideaway in the Playacar resort area south of town. Do a search for my comments. Haven't been to Cancun, but the whole PDC area was more crowded and built up than I expected. The beach at Playacar is way too crowded. There are about 10+ all-inclusives in a row and the beach is jammed with beachchairs, catamarans, etc. We much preferred the beach at Shangri-La Caribe, it was larger and much less crowded. I would not call PDC unspoiled, you might want to try further south.

Ali May 20th, 2002 07:58 AM

TT<BR>Returned from PDC one week ago. Stayed at the RIU Playacar, in Playacar a "subdivision" of PDC. I expected it to be somewhat "touristy" and it was. I wouldn't say the beaches were crowded, there were a lot of people, but not unbearable. Overall very nice vacation, beautiful, and relaxing. I would highly recommend it!

carolina May 23rd, 2002 12:41 PM

Playa del Carmen is touristy without the highrises of Cancun. Our first trip was in 98 and it was a sleepy town, not so in 2000!<BR><BR>We stayed at the Shangri-La our second time. Absolutely loved it! Quiet, great accomodations and staff. It's not an all-inclusive, breakfast and dinner included only, and much better food and atmosphere! Our first trip we stayed at the newly open Iberostar, nice, but a little too programmed for me. <BR><BR>

Monica May 23rd, 2002 12:55 PM

If you want to stay on the beach, I would recommend the Porto Real or the El Faro. Porto Real is one of the biggest hotels in Playa-they offer both al and non packages. The El Faro is small, only 25 rooms, but has a pool and breakfast is included in the price. It is definitely NOT like Cancun.

a Professional Agent May 24th, 2002 08:12 AM

You might also consider. Barcelo Mayan near Puerto Adventuras or Gran Sole Real, if you are looking to get away from many hotel in one strip.<BR>Also the new Flamenco opening in July nean Xcaret looks like it is going to be amazing, but it is Very Large.<BR>