Thermal Springs

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermal Springs

Does anyone know of the best thermal springs in CR? We visited one just outside Foruna that was amazing--not Tabacón Thermal Resort! We are looking for springs all over CR.
Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM

That's a pretty subjective subject. I personally prefer my springs without a swim up bar and would probably vote for the pools along the trail about 3/4 of a km west of the Rio Celeste waterfall turnoff (from the Buenavista entrance) in Volcan Tenorio National Park
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Exactly! That's why we didn't go to the resort. My children loved the experience so much, and it really was a teachable "moment"! Thank you for the input.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM

costaricaguide-

We will be staying at La Carolina lodge and doing a day trip to buena vista lodge to do the mud baths there. Are these hotsprings you mentioned in this area?? We are also interested in natural hotsprings. Thx.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Yes capecodgal they are in the same area. I'm sure the folks at La Carolina can help with directions or take you there, but just in case...

There is a sign for the turn to the waterfall trail on the left (west) side of the road from Muelle to Upala (I honestly can't remember for sure but I think La Carolina is off the same road).

Follow that road about 9 km until you cross the Rio Buena Vista and another 1.5 to the signed right turn for the falls.

The parking and entrance is about 7 km straight west on a very rough road.

The trail continues west. At about 1.2 km you'll see the spur to the right for the falls. Continue straight about 1.0 km further and watch for the steam on the riverbank.

There are about five pools of various depths, sizes and temperatures right along the river so you can cool off if you want.

Never seen anyone else there although I did find a pair of underwear hanging in a bush once ;-)