The truth about the GREEN season?

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truth about the GREEN season?

Hello helpful travelers! Can you advise me? I've only been to CR during the dry months. Now I'd kind of like to try the green season. However, I'll be traveling with my active 86 year old mom. We expect it to be hot. But,she isn't used to extreme heat combined with humidity. So, how bad is the humidity during the wet season? When compared to the dry is there a big difference? Should we stick with the dry months? Also,what are the absolute worst months weatherwise?
We'll probably visit the southern carribean coast and one of the mountainous regions. We'll do lots of easy hikes, birding, maybe snorkling, maybe kayaking on a gentle river. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Gretchen
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM

The southern caribbean coast is going to be hotter and more humid any time of the year. The caribbean also gets more rain all year long than the rest of the country, and the rainy season there is different from the rest of the country -- on that side December and January are the rainiest months, while Sept. isn't as bad. If you want to hike and do gentle kayaking, you don't want to go during heavy rains. Since you seem really concerned about heat and humidity and rain, you might want to stay in the central part of the country. Lots of nice, cooler places there.

Sandy
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandy! We're pretty flexible on travel times. I'd just like to miss the worst of the crowds during high season. I'll leave it up to my mom about venturing to the coast. She's heard me talk often about the joys of Almonds and Corals, a tent camp near Cahuita. I think she's pretty determined to go there. If we go, we'll just get out early for our more vigorous activities...and, take it easy during the heat of the day. The Mexicans have it right with afternoon siesta! Books and naps are good for the soul.
If we decide to stay in the central valley, are there any "do not miss" nature preserves there?
thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:38 PM

86 years old.... I hope I have half her energy if I make it that far. Have a wonderful trip whenever you go.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM

We like the rainy season. In the central valley it's not humid and uncomfortable. Just an afternoon shower, and a good excuse to sit on the veranda and read a book or take a nap. Be like the Ticos and don't even bother with a rain jacket. Just use the umbrellas all the resorts provide. It's much prettier in the "green" season.

Marcia
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM

youŽll be bitten alive on the carribbean coast and PV and Cahuita have serious personal safety issues to consider, stick to arenal/la fortuna, santa elena and for beaches the pacific coast either manuel antoniuo, though itŽs hilly so youŽll need a car- or the northern pacific beaches of Playa Carrillo, one of the preetiest beaches in Costa Rica, or 30 mins drive from Liberia airport the small beaches of Playa Hermosa and Playa Ocotal.
Here are some travelblogs you might find helpful:
http://costa-rica.typepad.com/santa_...ome/index.html
http://costa-rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html.
http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html
http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html
http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:21 AM

We were at Bosque del Cabo last November at the tail end of one of the rainiest seasons they had ever had. We had to be hauled across a river in a kayak at another place down there on the Osa. Bosque is up high enough that you will still get some nice breezes. The clouds can actually keep some of the heat down.