Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   The real Mexico - 1st time (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/the-real-mexico-1st-time-356846/)

libero7 May 8th, 2008 07:48 AM

The real Mexico - 1st time

Thanks to this forum for some very helpful posts. My wife and I are English and were thinking of going to Colombia this Autumn. Having read up about it it isn't the right time of year so we started thinking about Mexico where we have never been. We want to go away for a couple of weeks (maybe a bit more)and want 3 or so places that are really genuine. I speak Spanish so would like to go somewhere where you don't hear English too often and which feels very Mexican - I think that means Cancun is out! I suppose ideally we would love somewhere a bit off the beaten track with colonial-style towns, a little bit of beach and maybe some jungle/forest type adventure for a few days but we're pretty flexible. Thanks for any recommendations you might have.

RBCal May 8th, 2008 07:51 AM

Guatemala sounds closer to what you are looking for.

Fra_Diavolo May 8th, 2008 08:02 AM

How about Mexico City for a few days. This is about as authentic and you can get. I'd suggest the Hotel Majestic on the Zocalo. Visit the Templo Mayor and its small museum, the National Palace, the Cathedral. Next day see the National Anthropology Museum. Next day Teotihuacan.

Colonial Cities. Our favorite is Oaxaca. Puebla is on the way.

Or you might like the mountain cities north of MC, Queretaro and Guanajuato are two I've visited. There is also San Miguel (lots of English speakers), Zacatecas, Patzquero, Morelia and Guadalajara that I haven't made it to yet.

Beaches can be a bit iffy at that time of year with the threat of hurricanes. I've been only to the East coast, lots of variety from cancun to Tulum.

Haven't explored the Mexican rain forests.

suze May 8th, 2008 12:43 PM

Any of the colonials towns sound like they would fit the bill, as Fra_D is mentioning above.

Or even some of the coastal cities (not Cancun) if you simply spend time away from the highly-touristed areas.

YucatanToday May 8th, 2008 02:59 PM

Consider Merida as a home base! A beautiful colonial city with Mayan ruins and the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico less than an hour away. There are adventure tours - kayaking, windsurfing, jeep trails, biking, etc.
Cima & Sima is a good company to contact. Owners Mr. Raul Espejo, a certified medical technician, and his wife Connie Leal, have turned their passion for extreme sports into a business! Cel: 999 116 5424, email:
[email protected]

libero7 May 13th, 2008 12:41 AM

Thanks to you all for the comments - will let you know how I get on.

Cyberia May 14th, 2008 09:37 AM

I found it very easy to get around Mexico by bus. Some good tours available from many locations too, to see all the history Mexico has to offer.

evening May 14th, 2008 10:32 AM

Definitely Mexico City.

For the beach, consider Puerto Moreles. About 20 minutes south of Cancun - as authentic as you can get in that area... Lots of fishermen still own the beachfront property. Sundays the beach is packed with Mexican families.... Lots of small hotels, condo complexes where you can rent by the week and great local and Italian restaurants (there's a good sized expat community there). And, its 20 minutes to Playa del Carmen if you want occassional nightlife.

tanita12 May 15th, 2008 06:31 AM

I don't mean to be disrespectful of other comments on this particular question, but I totally disagree with the recommendations. I think that Mexico City is not a good idea for the conditions you mentioned. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but it's a metropolis, I don't think that is what you're looking for if you want authentic culture/jungle/beach.

I would definitely suggest the south, that's where you can couple 3 different seasons in the same city on the same day. For example, Chiapas is a wonderful option: in Agua Mora and Agua Azul you can find waterfalls and jungles, go for a dip in a natural spring that leads into mini waterfalls. In the same vicinity you can travel to San Cristobal de las Casas, in my opinion one of the greatest little towns on earth. There, you will find true Mexican culture, there are nearly 50 small churches within a 6 block radius, with a tiny traditional cafe in the centre that has a trio (3-person band) that plays at night. At least thrice a month there are festivals so you can see what real small-town culture is like. A short distance away you will find Tuxtla Gutierrez and if you go to el Canon de Sumidero you can take a boat ride in the middle of the canon (over 450 stories high) and stop off at a little island in the middle of the water and rent kayaks. It's not only for the extreme sportsman, I've taken my parents and had them kayak around (only around 20 metres), the view when you're down in the canon, looking at it 450 stories above you is priceless.

My next suggestion would be Tabasco. Villahermosa is the main part, but you can also travel to the outskirts to see beautiful jungles where you can literally walk through (with a guide) and see pumas, panthers, jaguars, etc. It is something you cannot miss!

Next on my list would be Oaxaca. The city is one of the most beautiful I've seen, with little (if any) tourist influence. The great thing about Oaxaca is the tiny virgin beaches where you will find endless stretches of beach and you can stumble upon a few cabanas set up on the beach that you can rent for about 20 pesos a day ($2). My favorite beaches are Zicatela and Puerto Escondido.

If you need any more detailed info, I can give you hotel names, etc. that I've stayed in. I've been to every state in Mexico for work and pleasure and I spent 5 years travelling throughout so I can give you some good recommendations on what to eat as well.

I hope you enjoy your trip, I have no doubt you will and that you will eventually return. As they say, COMO MEXICO, NO HAY DOS....(you'll see why!)

ranger7 May 28th, 2008 07:54 PM

Attn: tanita12
We're planning a trip to Oaxaca in Sept. have any suggestion for lodging? Don't want to pay mucho $$ but would like a nice place close to downtown. We heading to Guanajuato, San Miquel de Allende and Queretaro also if you have suggestion for those places too.
GRACIAS!!!