The Port of Limon Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are taking a cruise to this port in November on Holland America, and I would like to know about any saftey concerns, sites to see and shopping places at this port.
There have been reports of panhandling, muggings and robberies if one were to go off the beaten path at all. Is this true???
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:26 AM

I'm curious...what excursions do they offer?
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Limon City is quite dodgy and not touristic

although nearby areas can be pretty nice

www.hotelpalyawestfalia.com www.albylodge.com

Cahuita nice maybe cab to there if on a budget

best to take one of the cruise ship tours

Tortuguero Volcano Zip Line money tours all good

Too dodgy to wander around the city on your own...

www.tavel.state.gov CR for a heads up...
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:49 AM

If you can hook up with this crew you will probably be ok

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070223/..._tourists_dc_3

A group of U.S. tourists, including a former Marine, killed a Costa Rican mugger by breaking his neck after he pulled a gun on them in a Caribbean port, a local police official said on Thursday.The cruise ship passengers told police they jumped on Wagner Segura, 20, to defend themselves when he pointed a .38 caliber revolver at them near the Caribbean port of Limon on Wednesday, and somehow snapped his neck, regional police director Luis Hernandez said.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:20 AM

Limon, like many port cities around the world, is not a very nice place. There are souvenir stands and things like this set up especially for tourists but there really is nothing there to see and it can be dangerous.

If I were you, I would either rent a car and head south for the little beach town of Cahuita or go with one of the shore excursions from www.costa-rica-limon.com or with Juan Brenes of Aguila Tours. Juan has an excellent reputation (speaks excellent English) and would be a really good choice.

If you decide to rent a car, the drive south to Cahuita is beautiful, with nothing between you and the ocean except some palm trees. It is a safe and easy drive. Near Cahuita, you can stop at the sloth rehabilitation center which is a fascinating place and you can see sloths close up as well as a few other animals. There is a coral reef not far offshore from Cahuita so you could go snorkeling for a couple of hours. Some great food in town, also as well as some interesting artisan shops (and the usual tourist shops).

For distances and driving times, check here: www.yourtravelmap.com
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM

HIGHLY recommend Avarios del Caribe, the sloth rescue center near Cahuita. It is simply outstanding.

Cahuita National Park is good for wildlife viewing. All within about an hour or less from Limon.

Knowing this area well and knowing how "out of the know" you will be stepping off a cruise ship, I would certainly follow hsmithcr's advice and contact Juan Brenes. You will be very happy, I think, to have someone of his caliber there waiting for you when you step off that ship. And it will save you time as well as offer you a superior and more private experience.