Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   The Galapagos Island - to go or not to go, I don't swim- (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/the-galapagos-island-to-go-or-not-to-go-i-dont-swim-288598/)

SWillams Jan 20th, 2008 01:57 PM

The Galapagos Island - to go or not to go, I don't swim-

I have been seeing diffrent cruise itinerarys for the Galapagos Islands. I am considering the Mv Ledgend or the MV Explorer ii. I do not swim and I would like feedback from fodorites who do not swim and have been to the Galapagos Island.

I understand that at some ports the cruise ships have a wet landing. How high will the water level in a wet landing. I don't mind water up to my knees, but any higher than that would be a proble. I am short, barly 5 feet, so obviously, the water would have to be very shallow.

I choose these ships because both offer a glass bottom boat, what experiences, if any have fodorites had with glass bottom boats in the Galapagos Islands?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am still debating whether to go.

Thanks.

SWillams Jan 20th, 2008 02:08 PM

One more question, I would like feedback of hotel based accomodation in the Galopogas Islands. Am I better off staying at a hotel and visiting the Charles Darwin Stn, Coffee Plantations and one other island since I don't swim?

Thanks again.

Percy Jan 20th, 2008 02:10 PM

SWillams

Not being able to swim has nothing to do with the Galapagos Tour.

Wet landing simply means that to some places the boat transferring you from your Yacht to the shore , will not be able to fully come right upon the shore.

This mean that you will have to get out of the boat and go into ankle deep water or below the knee water level depth .... you get your feet "wet" so it is called a "wet landing."

The yacht I was on gave us a glass bottom boat ride, but the yacht itself did not have a glass bottom.

Don't worry , you do not even take your sandals off if/when you have the wet landing... they will get dry within the hour !!

Percy

SWillams Jan 20th, 2008 03:37 PM

Percy, thank you for your feedback.

I meant to say I choose these ships bacause each of them operate glass bottom boat at (some) ports. Most of the cruise I have looked at do not mention that you can go in a glass bottom boat ride as part of a shore excursion.

SusieQQ Jan 21st, 2008 03:56 AM

I went with Lindblad on the Polaris. She carries a glass-bottom boat and there were frequent opportunities to be on it. I don't snorkel so everytime there were good snorkeling sites I went on it instead.
Every day we had multiple choices of activities at different levels. You would have no problem with wet landings. Wet landings are on beaches and all you need to do is get in ankle deep water getting on and off the zodiac.

MarthaT Jan 21st, 2008 07:04 AM

I went on the Legend in 2005 and there was no glass bottom boat. I would double check that. We were not offered this option and I really would have liked it.