Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Thatched Roof Lodging in Playa del Carmen (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/thatched-roof-lodging-in-playa-del-carmen-291853/)

sparklegem Feb 23rd, 2003 09:13 PM

Thatched Roof Lodging in Playa del Carmen

Hi,<BR><BR>Could anyone suggest a place to stay, on the beach with a thatched roof? Would like to pay under $75 US.<BR><BR>Thank you!!

eileen Feb 24th, 2003 06:09 AM

Hi, I don't know of anything on the beach that is in that price range. We stayed at the Shangri-La Caribe, right on the beach with thatched roofs, but the price is about $150 - 200. That does include breakfast and dinner. We loved it and thought it was a great value.

Rover Feb 24th, 2003 08:13 AM

Does it have to be in Playa? There are a lot of thatched roof cabanas down along the beach at Tulum, about a 45 drive from PDC. Try www.cabanascopal.com<BR>for one. If you're traveling with a family, I would not recommend them, though. Besides being a bit on the rustic side, the patrons are adults, couples or singles, and the atmosphere is not for small children. Besides, the lure of Tulum is the lack of activity other than laying around the beach and relaxing. Most kids would be bored very quickly.

sparklegem Feb 24th, 2003 08:56 AM

Hi, <BR>Thank you for the helpful replies!! <BR><BR>Rover- Thank you for the link. I have been thinking about the Copal Cabanas. It seems to be just what I am looking for (I think). Would you mind making some suggestions for my trip? I used to live in the Yucatan, but that was 16 years ago and my last visit was 10 years ago. I have heard that things have changed a lot! I will traveling with my six year old daughter and meeting up with my brother (who lived in the Yucatan for 12 years- I was only there for one). With my brother and his children we will be traveling down the peninsula and the coast for about two weeks. I was thinking of coming a week or so earlier. I was thinking about Isla Mujeres, Playa or Tulum for the two of us. Playa seemed busy and too much of a party town way back when... Do you have any suggestions for where to stay for a week with my six year old daughter? I was thinking of maybe a night or two in Playa and then the Copal cabanas. Also wondering what Isla Mujeras is like now.<BR><BR>Thank you very much!!

Rover Feb 25th, 2003 06:09 AM

Gem, I'm not real sure if the cabana route is the one to take when traveling with small children. For one thing, the atmosphere of the cabanas and beaches of Tulum lean toward young adult backpackers and others who just want some peace and quiet, away from children. There is a lot of partying and quite a bit of nudity along those beaches. And there is absolutely nothing for a child to do except play on the beach. If a child over does the sun and gets tired and cranky, there is no cool hotel room to go back to because there is no Air conditioning (no electricity.)

JeanH Feb 25th, 2003 05:56 PM

We stayed at HOtel Colibri, which is right on the beach at Playa Del Carmen. Right next door was a small property called Hotel Corto Maltes. Calls itself the 'last little bit of old Playa'. They have a web page, and the rates are $50-75.00 per night. Might be just what you're looking for.

diann Feb 26th, 2003 01:14 PM

Eileen I was looking at there web site Shangri-la Caribe. They look very nice. How was the food? Was there variety or just several choices? How close is it to the town? Did it seem to cater to all age groups or very young folks? Were there many families there?

SusanInToronto Feb 26th, 2003 03:51 PM

Sparlegem, you asked about Isla Mujeres. You might want to check out www.isla-mujeres.net - there's a very active forum on that site. I think Isla is a good choice if you're with kids - the water at Playa Norte is wonderful for swimming, very calm. I don't think there's too much thatched roof accommodation there however, but I'm sure you could find a place at a reasonable cost over there.

sparklegem Feb 26th, 2003 08:11 PM

Thank you Susan! That is a good website. I think that we will spend some time in Isla as well. Could you recommend some places near Playa Norte?<BR>

eileen Feb 27th, 2003 03:15 PM

The food was okay, not fabulous but for the price, it seemed like a good deal. At breakfast they have a large cold buffet and you also can order hot meals off the menu. At dinner there is usually choice of two entrees, two appetizers, etc. Several nights a week they have a salad bar which is really good. During the day we walked down the beach to town, that's the best way to do it -- it is only a $5 cab ride. It seemed to cater to a variety of age groups, and yes, there were families there but the stretch of beach is large so the kids weren't bothersome or anything (we leave ours at home). We stayed there four nights and then went to a very upscale place for the last three which made for a perfect vacation for us. The Shangri-La does not have phones or tv's or AC in the rooms so it was a bit rustic for my husband. All in all, a beautiful lush resort for a great price!