Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/thanksgiving-riviera-maya-area-all-inclusive-1375007/)

Jimbo3863 Jun 6th, 2017 11:58 AM

Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive

Hello,

Plan on going to Riviera Maya area over this Thanksgiving. Been to Cancun a few times but want to stay this time a little aways from that area. Prefer an all-Inclusive with combination of nicest beachfront, nice pool area (have a 9 year old), and good quality food options. I have researched online and the options are ridiculous. Does anyone have any really positive experience or recommend something?
We do not want to go somewhere with only average food, but also understand that's with all Inclusive you won't get 5* dinning as well. We stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres some years back and food was actually good!

Also, for travel in late November will the pools be to cold as my Kid will love the pools!

suze Jun 6th, 2017 12:05 PM

You might want to first price plane tickets and see availability. I am going to the other coast (PV) in November and prices really jump traveling over that holiday week!

Jimbo3863 Jun 6th, 2017 12:11 PM

Thanks. Already did. Expensive but we can afford it. We are coming out of Austin, TX. Looking at $700-$900 flights! My kid is off school that whole week of Thanksgiving and it is easy for us to take off work as well.

suze Jun 6th, 2017 12:23 PM

Oh good, happy planning!

maried11 Jun 6th, 2017 04:44 PM

Have a look at the Barceló Palace (the highest of the 5 properties in the same complex), also the Grand Palladium (unlimited a la cartes and no reservations required), if you can afford it, the Grand Velas, but not a lot for kids.
There are just so many, so more requirements are needed to give accurate advice.

Jimbo3863 Jun 6th, 2017 07:28 PM

Thanks. Want nice beach first, then big pool area and decent food 2nd. I get that the food won't be amazing (stayed all over the Carribeean at All Inclusive's and been on cruises, etc). I'll look at your suggestions!

schmerl Jun 7th, 2017 04:05 AM

Also look at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Like the Barcelo, it is part of a five resort complex. Very large beautiful beach and fantastic pools. Lots of activities for your 9 year old as well.

gmoney Jun 7th, 2017 08:35 AM

We're going back to Barcelo for the 4th time this Sunday if that means anything. Barcelo has about a mile of arguably the best beach in RM with amazing snorkeling right off shore. Huge fantastic pools overlooking the sea. Have never had a bad experience with food and plenty of variety between the buffets and ala-cartes.

jamie99 Jun 7th, 2017 10:53 AM

I'd also look at Grand Palladium, no reservations for dinner, beach has some parts for good swimming and others a bit rocky for snorkeling. Iberostar also gets good reviews, never stayed.
I would avoid Barcelo and also Grand Bahia since they have captive dolphin pens (pools are REAL small) which I do not approve of.

4sammy Jul 25th, 2017 11:43 AM

Sorry I know this is way late - but are you dead set on an AI? My husband and I have been several times to the Marriott in Cancun and we love it. Great deals, great location in the hotel zone (quick access from airport) and they offer packages with 25% off food in the hotel ,which includes the JW next door. Great food, rather than the typical bland AI food.

We are planning to go over Thanksgiving too :) with the kids this time.

JoThom80 Aug 21st, 2017 04:41 AM

We’ve stayed in different hotels in Cancun over the last years, most of them are good (like RIU hotels), but we loved the experience in Club Regina Cancun and Raintree Vacation Club. The food at the restaurant is delicious and the service is very fast, even the waiters are friendly and that makes your experience comfortable. We have a 7 year old kid who had a lot of fun at the pool and with other activities, and definitely… watching the sunset at the beach is a priceless experience, the privacy is very good also.
Hope you enjoy your next vacations!