Tentative plans for Aug/Sept

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what's going to be possible this year, and while we have flight vouchers for Porugal that we'll need to use if Europe opens up, that might not happen. So a return trip to CR is a welcomed plan B. This would be our 4th trip, but the first in Aug/Sept (the prior 3 trips were all in Feb). So far we've been to:
Arenal (Lost Iguana)
Manuel Antonio (Tulemar)
Osa (Bosque del Cabo)
Turrialba (Rancho Naturalista)
San Gerardo del Dota (Savegre)
Dominical
San Miguel area (Carolina Lodge)

For this trip we will focus on the Caribbean side, for birding and general wildlife, relaxation and good food.
Tortugero: must see turtles, so I'm thinking 4n/3d, which will give us 1 day for the boat canal ride and 2 days for turtles. Is that too much? Do Green Sea and Hawksbill turtles nest in the same place, or do we need 2 days for 2 different areas?
Manzanillo: Cahuita NP and what else? We're not beach people but we might take a day off from early rising and just enjoy the day.
Hotel Quelitales: hope to go back to El Copal, bird at CATIE. This will be our last destination before leaving CR, so hopefully not too wet.
4th destination, actually the 1st after we land: Bosque de Paz? Looks like a good place to see Poas and Parque Nacional Juan Castro Blanco, but how rainy is it in Aug/Sept? Would Sarapiquis area be better, weather wise? Selva Verde? Tirimbina?

Am I overlooking any other area with good weather in Aug/Sept that I should consider?
Given our interests (good weather and turtles), should we go in Aug/Sept or later in Sept? I know...predicting the weather requires a crystal ball. Thanks.