Thoughts about Puerta Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2017, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I normally travel to the Riviera Maya, mostly Cozumel because of the crystal clear waters and secluded beaches. But were thinking about doing something different, and have heard much chatter about Puerta Vallarta, and wanted to get some personal insights about this place.

Is it safe?

How are the beaches?

Hotel Recommendations?

Look forward to your responses
Old May 28th, 2017, 05:39 AM

Perfectly safe !
Beaches are different from the Caribbean side of the country, most people come here for the experience of walking in a real Mexican town.
One of our main attractions is the vast range of wonderful restaurants with all ranges of cost, from delicious street food to Haute Cuisine.
Hotels range from All Inclusive resort type, mostly outside the city, to Traditional Mexican style hotels.
Old May 28th, 2017, 07:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes it is safe. That is a non-issue in PV.

Beaches are the Bay of Banderas on the Pacific Ocean. Very different from the Caribbean. Just Google search and you can see photos for yourself.

Most of the chatter you hear about Vallarta is the town itself, the vibrant arts scene, the friendly welcoming local people, great restaurants. Agreeing with cabron, the draw of Puerto Vallarta is that is it not an isolated place made only for tourists. It's a place visitors come to and interact along side a regular working Mexican city. PV is also popular with Mexican nationals so families from inland areas come to vacation there too, it's not just NOTB people.

I would love to recommend some specific hotels but need to know what you are looking for. A general price range? Do you want something authentic Mexican style? Or a high end resort? What part of town? Any particular requirements?

Look at the maps here to get an idea of the lay of the land:
www.vallartainfo.com That is also a good website if you want to book tours or activities.
Old May 28th, 2017, 07:22 AM

Oh and as far as personal insights, just to introduce ourselves... cabron is a local resident and I am a regular twice a year visitor who has been there 30+ times.
Old May 28th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Having visited PV every year 1986 to 1998 and a bit sporadically since then I can attest never having felt the least bit fearful night or day. In my younger "single" days I often was out late into the wee AM walking home to Los Cuatro Vientos with never a problem.
Old May 28th, 2017, 09:34 PM

I have been going to both the PV area and the Yucatan area for many years (I lived in Mexico in my late teens/early 20s), and now usually return for the winter holidays to either the PV area or the area south of Playa del Carmen (mostly around Tulum - I'm not a fan of Cancun).

The beaches and the vibe are very different. Here's what I posted answering your Q on the other thread:

<How are the beaches and ocean compared to Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Cancun?>

PV is a Pacific beach - very different from like baby powder sand/turquoise water on the Caribbean side. PV's ocean is a blue green to blue grey and the sand is more golden. The mountains, coves and jungle surrounding the city are stunningly picturesque, but the beach is neither pristine nor idyllic (sometimes insanely crowded) and the ocean is often rough, rocky or somewhat murky w/ sting rays.

I love beach combing and boating in the area and the culture away from the tourist area (this is a real Mexican city), but I wouldn't go to PV primarily for ocean swimming.

Better swimming can be found north of town in Bucerias or further north in the Punta del Burro area south of Punta Mita, as well as parts of the charming surf town of Sayulita. But if you're going just for the beaches, nothing in this area compares to the pristine beaches of Playa del Carmen and the area south of Cancun.

Can't help you with PV hotels, because we always stay in villas. Highly recommend renting a place in the lower Conchas Chinas area - very walkable.
Old May 29th, 2017, 05:42 AM

I have a lady friend of many years who regularly swims at Los Muertos Beach, right in town, and she's in her 70s. Sometimes some big swells in the winter but the summer can be very calm. Sting rays are not a problem as long as you don't step on them.
Old May 29th, 2017, 08:24 AM

Los Muertos is a zoo when we're there around Christmas - I imagine it would be fine without the crowds. My son unfortunately stepped on a sting ray the last time we were there, so I'm now a bit turned off to the PV ocean.

Sorry for all the typos and repetition above - can't wait for the new edit feature!
Old May 29th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Lots of sting rays in the Caribbean along with hordes of sea urchins far more likely to get stepped on.
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:23 AM

Correction: Mr. Crosscheck just said it was indeed a sea urchin that my son stepped on in PV. The sting ray incident was on another continent Agree, can happen in a lot of places.
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Sea Urchins not only have lovely shells, but are edible & thought to be a delicacy by many cultures.
/www.google.com/search?q=sea+urchin+shells&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo =u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT6-KL_pXUAhVmilQKHeysAdQQ
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:27 AM

very difficult to find a sea urchin close to shore here in PV, nothing to feed on.
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<< Mr. Crosscheck just said it was indeed a sea urchin that my son stepped on in PV. >>

Last time I was in PV (couple of years ago), the beach had sea urchin warning signs so not sure if this is something common in PV. The beaches themselves are much better on the Maya Riviera than PV. However, PV is more scenic (imo) as you have the ocean and the mountains. It's more of a dramatic backdrop.

Regarding hotels - hard to give a recommendation unless we know what you are looking for. All inclusive? 4 star? close to downtown? boutique?
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:40 AM

<very difficult to find a sea urchin close to shore here in PV, nothing to feed on.>

He wasn't close to shore - He had walked out on some rocks moments after we arrived (the rocks on the right in this image):

https://cdn.ostrovok.ru/t/1024x768/m...233777_1_b.jpg

Stayed away from there the rest of the trip.

<The beaches themselves are much better on the Maya Riviera than PV. However, PV is more scenic (imo) as you have the ocean and the mountains. It's more of a dramatic backdrop.>

Agree.
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:15 AM

<<Sea Urchins not only have lovely shells, but are edible & thought to be a delicacy by many cultures.>>

That doesn't mean I want to swim with them. ; )
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:20 AM

<<PV is a Pacific beach - very different from like baby powder sand/turquoise water on the Caribbean side. PV's ocean is a blue green to blue grey and the sand is more golden. The mountains, coves and jungle surrounding the city are stunningly picturesque, but the beach is neither pristine nor idyllic (sometimes insanely crowded) and the ocean is often rough, rocky or somewhat murky w/ sting rays.

I love beach combing and boating in the area and the culture away from the tourist area (this is a real Mexican city), but I wouldn't go to PV primarily for ocean swimming.>>

I missed this post initially. That's exactly how I would describe the PV beaches. Btw - we are going in four weeks. First four days at Garza Blanca. Any thoughts on this place/area?
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:32 AM

I don't swim in the ocean. Doesn't diminish my love for or great times I have in Puerto Vallarta.
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:33 AM

hi tom42~ The area around Garza Blanca? Southshore? Hmmm... it's really pretty down that way. Are you looking for things to do off the resort nearby? Or what?

~suze
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:43 AM

No, I was really just looking for thoughts on the resort and the beach in that area. I don't think we will be going off resort much - the resort has hiking trails, bike paths, and kayaks so we will probably just keep busy with that. The hotel has a kayak tour to Los Arcos, so we may do that. We do plan on going to the Malecon at least one of the evenings while we are there (and then probably one more when we are at the Westin).
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Never stayed in that area myself, but people seem to love it. I think you're in for a treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -