Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Tell me why you would return to Guanahuato.? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/tell-me-why-you-would-return-to-guanahuato-817796/)

jetsetj Dec 15th, 2009 06:54 AM

Tell me why you would return to Guanahuato.?

What is it about this place that you love?
Would a week here be too long?
Interests include wandering, photographing, shopping, eating and drinking..

Fra_Diavolo Dec 15th, 2009 07:53 AM

Much as I loved Guanajuato -- I think it is the most beautiful city I've visited in Mexico -- I think two and a half days suffice to see it all. You might need more if you're a serious photographer. At this point, I would not make a trip specifically to return. However, I do have to get to Zacatecas some day, and that will bring me nearby, and perhaps I'll stop in for a bit.

You might consider visiting Zacatecas yourself. Also in the area is Queretaro, another charming colonial town. Between these three cities I would think your week would go by quickly.

emd3 Dec 15th, 2009 09:19 AM

I think the beauty of spending a week in either San Miguel or Guanajuato is that you can not only see those towns, but go on easy day trips to the other town (Guanaj. if you are in SMA and SMA if you are in Guanaj.), and also Dolores Hidalgo, and a longer day trip to the larger city of Queretaro if you so desire.

If you get "done" w/the colonial town you are staying in, you can wander out a bit to another town. But if you want to stay put and relax and get into the flow of life like the locals (going to the market for fresh fruits and veggies, doing a bit of cooking, lounging w/a book on your rooftop veranda and watching the light change the scenery throughout the day, long walks everywhere, having coffee at a nice outdoor cafe and people watching, listening to live music or a performance at night, etc.) both Guanajuato and SMA are great for that.

ReindeerLady Dec 15th, 2009 04:46 PM

I loved Guanajuato and don't think a week would be too long. What I remember is that it was very cool (in January) and we didn't have warm enough clothes! There was a myriad of different thing to do. The mines, the inquisition torture sites, the mummy museum, the historical independence war sites and the tour of the town were really all very neat. I loved hanging in the plaza and watching the students play on their computers with the free wifi. Take a Spanish class, visit San Miquel, walk and meet the very friendly people. We took a few weeks and traveled the Central Highlands. We started at Rio Caliente a great mountain retreat spa that is reasonably priced and totally unpretentious and then traveled almost to Mexico City and then around to Cuyatlan and back to Guadalajara. I loved most the spot new Mexico City where the monarchs overwinter. But the whole trip was very cool (expcept for the beach) and not entirely the warm get away we were hoping to escape from Alaska to.

jetsetj Dec 16th, 2009 07:19 AM

thanks for the replies .
I noticed I even spelled the city name wrong.
It is suppose to be Guanajuato, correct?
Do you pronounce the G as in good or is it more like an W as in won?

thanks