Taxis in Rio...What's the Story?

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Sluckumms

Taxis in Rio...What's the Story?

Of course, I'll be seeing Sugar Loaf
& Corcovado and was thinking about taking taxis to the sites instead of the tour..I'm not so concerned getting there, as trusting the taxis to return me from the sites to the hotel.

Are these guys reliable? I'm asking because I'll have a small camcorder.

The same question applies to going to SAMBA SHSHOW Night in Rio. A tour with dinner runs $50 with a show - but I could cut it down with taxis.

Regards...

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Michael from New York

Take the tour. They pick you up at your hotel, drop you off when over, you can meet people on the airconditioned bus, and you don't have to speak Portuguese. Second, most tours to Sugar Loaf or Corcovado cost 50 Reals, which given the latest rate of exchange is less than 25 US dollars. Not only that, if you book the tour thru your hotel, you prepay at the hotel, meaning you don't have to walk around with a lot of money. All the money you need bring is money for a cold drink at Corcovado, for souveniers, and for a tip for the tour guide and driver. Safe, sure, and not at all costly. I returned from Rio on March 23rd.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Tammy

I agree with Michael. Take the tour to the sites in Rio. It is so much easier this way, and may even be cheaper than a taxi. The van or bus will be air conditioned, and a lot of the times you might not have the same luxury with a taxi.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Erin

It depends on how adventurous you are. For Sugarloaf, we took the public bus and taxis and didn't have any problems (granted we didn't have camcorders with us). Personally, we didn't want to spend the extra money for a tour. I found the taxis (and buses) in Rio to be very reliable, even the ones you hail off the street. Just make sure the taxis have a license displayed and a meter that it turned ON. Good Luck.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 10:20 PM
Mary

We used taxi's in Rio, not a problem, we enjoyed the driver, he gave us a lot of insite into the area and culture. We used the same taxi driver for 3 days. He took us to Sugar Loaf and waited for us. He was wonderful. Gave us tourist tips.