Reload this Page >

Taxis from Rio airport to Ipanema

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 02:03 PM
Sia

Hi there, how much is it to catch a taxi from the airport in Rio to say Ipanema Mar? <BR>I'm trying to work out whether it is cheaper to cab it or get a transfer. There are 2 of us. <BR>Cheers!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:08 AM
CD

Like in most major cities, there is a shuttle bus that runs from the airport in Rio to all the major hotels from Copa all the way to the end of the line in Barra de tijuca. Ask at the bank at the airport, as cabs are over $40. Cheers.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 04:51 PM
dick

I agree with the bus suggestion. It'll take about 30 minutes longer and drop you off along the beach front street. Last year I think it was about $3 each. Go through customs and ignore all the taxi touts, change money at an ATM if needed, and go out the doors and look for the bus stop. These are large A/c buses that stop along the way. Let the "helper" know where you want off (a large land mark or popular hotel). You pay on the bus - keep your receipt in case he forgets you paid. <BR> <BR>Rio is great. Email me if you have any other questions.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 02:40 PM
WildBill

Cabs are fairly cheap in Rio compared to most large American cities especially for the fare to/from the Airport. A cab from the airport to the Ipanema area is probably about 50 Reais. At the current exchange rate that is less than $22.00. Also, the Radio Cabs have a deal for about 90 Reais they will also pick you up on your return. Private car transfers are probably closer to $35.00 American. I would not take the bus if you have any amount of luggage or if you don't want to wait around for a while

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:10 PM
Surlok

A yellow cab ride will cost you about 20 Reais, or less than 10 dollars, whereas a special taxi like Cootramo or Transcopas will cost you 40 reais, around 20 dollars, or a bit less.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Sia

Thanks for the reply's. I am Australian and our dollar is pretty much the same as the Real, and half of the US dollar. <BR>WildBill mentions luggage, I don't mind waiting but of course we will have a large suitcase if not 2 of them, will this pose a problem on the shuttle bus? <BR>And are yellow cabs safe as opposed to Cootramo or Transcopas? <BR>Thanks for your help

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Surlok

As far as they are parked outside the airport, they are. Don't get one that is passing by, though. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 01:04 PM
Vania

Sia <BR>I lived in Rio and I always get a yellow cab from airport. <BR>It's safe but there are smart drivers, then you can ask before you get. I think 20-25 reais, it's ok. <BR>If you have another question you can mail me.