Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   taxi guide - Percy (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/taxi-guide-percy-765579/)

mb751 Feb 4th, 2009 05:58 AM

taxi guide - Percy

Has anyone used Percy the taxi guide in Cusco, more recently then 2007?
I have some concern about wiring a deposit for a couple of hotels.
Please reply. Thanks.

detraveler Feb 4th, 2009 11:54 AM

We have friends who used him in Oct 2008. She may come on the board and answer too. They recommended him to us as 100% reliable and we are using his services in May.

mdn Feb 4th, 2009 01:08 PM

We used Percy last year. He did a wonderful job and was very reliable and punctual. He didn't arrange hotels for us but arranged the PeruRail trip up to Machu Picchu.

Percy Feb 4th, 2009 06:33 PM

I have heard only good reports about Percy the tourist guide/taxi

But then with a name like Percy ,you get the best . :)

Tibi Feb 4th, 2009 06:56 PM

I have used him in Oct. 08. I found him reliable and had no complaints whatsoever.

aristokat Feb 8th, 2009 10:59 AM

Hello,

I also made arrangements to have Percy take us on a tour of the Sacred Valley and a day tour of Cusco. This may be hijacking your thread mb (sorry!), but for the fodorites who have used Percy in the past, do I need to confirm if Percy will be our guide on those days.

I noticed on LeslieS's trip report that Percy had arranged her guide in Cusco. Would Percy specifically say if another person would be giving the tour instead of Percy?

Thank you!

mb751 Feb 8th, 2009 11:50 AM

To aristokat- He said he would be the guide personally for us for our Cusco tour. He has arranged with someone else to be our guide at Machupicchu, and for the Inti Rymi Festival 6/24.

mb751 Feb 8th, 2009 11:53 AM

Thank you to everyone who replyed.
He seems very good at getting back to us via email. So far so good. Will be going in June.

bjamie Feb 11th, 2009 07:59 AM

I've been using him for our June trip as well and have been very impressed. He arranged our guide for Inti Raymi as well, so we'll see you there, mb751!

NancyLA Feb 13th, 2009 11:50 AM

Re Percy the Taxi Guide,

We are planning a trip to Cuzco/MP in July. How does one contact Percy?
Thanks!

mb751 Feb 14th, 2009 09:36 AM

NancyLA;

Percy's email is:

[email protected]

Tell him Miss Martha says hello.
He is working with us in June.

Leslie_S Feb 15th, 2009 05:20 AM

Just to add - when we used Percy he didn't require any kind of deposit but I had booked all of our hotels myself. And all of the hotels did require payment at the time of booking rather than just holding a c/c number so I can see why he would need a deposit if he's handling that for you.

We greatly enjoyed our time with him in Oct 08 and would highly recommend his services.

Aristokat - yes, I think he will tell you if he's not available for a certain day that he can arrange another guide for you if you wish. He would not book you then just have someone else show up; I'm fairly certain. That is how it worked with our planning, anyway. The guide he hired for us for a day in Cusco was great - the guide he got for MP was not so special but not bad. I would try to book early enough to get Percy himself if possible. The days we spent with him in the Sacred Valley were wonderful.

kdistler77 Feb 16th, 2009 07:32 PM

We will be flying into Cusco early in morning. 7:00 am arrival. Would Percy be the driver/guide that we could hire to take us from Cusco to Ollanta and stop to see some sights in Sacred Valley. ie: market at Pisac, etc. We would ultimately end up in Ollanta where we have hotel reservations. Any idea what he charges? Would he do some type of day trip like this? If not, who would we contact to arrange something like this?

bjamie Feb 18th, 2009 07:37 AM

We have booked Percy for a Sacred Valley day trip in June. We will be visiting several places, traveling round-trip from Cusco. I think the exact price he quotes depends on exactly where he takes you, but with several stops ours is in the $120-$130 range (for 2 people).

Leslie_S Feb 19th, 2009 04:34 AM

kdistler -- that's what we had him do - he picked us up at the airport in Cusco, took us into Cusco to pick up our train tickets (i had prepurchased on line) and then drove us to our hotel in Ollantaytambo. Then we spent two more days with him. You can customize what you do and the price will vary as bjamie said.