Taxi costs in Belize

Aug 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Taxi costs in Belize

My family and I are planning a trip to Belize this December. We are thinking of staying 4 nights at the Black Rock Lodge, 1 night at the Tikal Inn, and 2 nights at a luxury lodge, perhaps Blancaneaux or Chaa Creek.

Can someone give me approximate taxi rates from the Belize City Int'l airport to the San Ignacio area, and will a taxi be willing to take us directly to Black Rock? The lodge quoted me $140 one way, which I think is absurd. Also, we'd like to take a taxi to Tikal. Again, the lodge's rate is inflated at $240 one way for the 3 of us. What can we expect to pay a regular taxi driver? Finally, should we plan on taking a taxi to the border, then a separate taxi to Tikal?

I know these questions are asked frequently here, but I could not seem to find up to date rates. Thank you!!
Aug 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Its a long drive, some of it on rough off road. Book their transfers. Maybe you can get a taxi from Intl to SI for 125.00, give or take. Then it'll be another 30.00 or so to BRL..You can have them drop you at the border and probably get a mini van for about 40.00pp to the site.
Aug 8th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - I'm surprised at the cost of the taxi to San Ignacio. Maybe we should look into taking a bus.

The price of a taxi from the Guatemala border to Tikal is $40 per person, not per transfer? I guess I wouldn't save any money by doing that, since I'd still have to get to the border. I'll have to rethink things and decide what we're going to do.
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM

For those costs might I suggest renting a SUV?

IT will be busy season so folks wont haggle as much but if you are real flexible you can get a little better deal but you will spend a lot of time and no guarantees on the type of vehicle you will be in.

For Tikal book an Overnight with someone like Mayawalk and it will include your transfers and meals for a little more.
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM

I forgot to mention Haggling for a TAXI not a rental car, during peak times the rental places wont do anything.
Aug 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM

Just returned from Belize. Yes taxis are expensive esp. since you will be there during peak season. Taking local buses will be much cheaper. If you don't want to take local buses then you can always fly which is almost equivalent maybe even less than a taxi.

Search this Thread