Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Tamarindo vs Playa Hermosa (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/tamarindo-vs-playa-hermosa-818037/)

murphyck06 Dec 17th, 2009 07:14 AM

Tamarindo vs Playa Hermosa

My husband and I are planning a trip to CR in Feb/Mar. Both Tamarindo and Playa Hermosa sound like our taste -- laid back, nice beaches, great local restaurants/bars. Just curious if anyone has experienced both and would recommend either way. We will likely fly into Liberia so the shorter distance to Playa Hermosa vs Tamarindo is appealing but isn't a deal breaker.

Four_Winds Dec 17th, 2009 10:52 AM

Well, I live Tamarindo, and although it is a little bit more touristy, it is still very laid back. There are quite a few nice places to stay, great restaurants throughout, and the beach is very nice with mild current. If you rent a car, there are lots of places to see between the two: Playa Langosta, Playa Flamingo, Playas del Coco and Papagayo.

Hoyas Dec 17th, 2009 04:08 PM

We attended a wedding in Tamarindo last week. As background we are age 60. Have you considered Playa Samara/Carillo or others?

carolll Dec 19th, 2009 12:52 PM

Tamarindo is even more of a tourist destination site than Playa Hermosa in my opinion. I would check into ocean water quality. There have been alarms raised regarding hotels issuing sewage directly into the ocean, causing increasing pollution.

Four_Winds Dec 19th, 2009 02:48 PM

Well I was in the ocean the last 5 days in Tamarindo. There is only one hotel directly on the beach. Carolll, thats a pretty bold claim to just throw out there. Care to provide a source?

joeschmo Dec 20th, 2009 06:38 AM

carolll is correct about the water quality in Tamarindo. In 2007, Tamarindo beach lost it's 'Blue Flag' status. I believe 2 hotels were temporarily closed and the Diria was given notice but NOT closed. In 2008, the water was rated safe but I don't believe the Blue Flag status has been reinstated. In my last visit to Tamarindo in 2007, there was an odor throughout the town which prompted many to shorten their visits.

carolll Dec 20th, 2009 07:51 AM

Four_Winds - In 2008 I spent a night in Tamarindo. At that time, the local newspaper was filled with reports about spillage issuing directly from local hotels into the ocean. What seemed to be missing was a strong enough local mechanism to gain compliance with water/sewage regulations, as I recall.

I certainly hope the issue has been resolved, so that we all can swim in that beautiful ocean and not be at risk.

Carol L

cnor Apr 27th, 2010 09:40 AM

We will be traveling in June from Manuel Antonio with three older teenagers. Any Suggestions on nice hotels on the beach in these areas?

shillmac Apr 27th, 2010 01:41 PM

carolll is absolutely right in mentioning the quality of the water. This has long been a documented problem in Tamarindo. If she hadn't said it, I would have--or someone else. Just the fact that there has EVER been a problem with that would make me less inclined to hang out in the water there.

That said, Tamarindo is a bustling place with lots of good restaurants, shopping, etc. It's a favorite for those wanting more bar/restaurant action. For most of us, watching it grow into its present day status has been disconcerting. It was also a gorgeous little small place, less developed, but with cleaner ocean water!

We like Hermosa because it is so close to Liberia and Rincon de la Vieja Parque Nacional. It, too, is a fun area, certainly less crowded (although it's built up a lot in the past few years) with good restaurants and nearby beaches. Ginger is a favorite for tapas. Nearby Playa Panama is a good little beach, a favorite of the locals.

The good thing is that you can easily stay in one location and do an daytrip to the other. We don't stay in Tamarindo anymore, but every couple of years or so, we drop by and check it out, have a meal, etc.