Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Tamarindo or Manuel Antonio for beach time in costa rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/tamarindo-or-manuel-antonio-for-beach-time-in-costa-rica-952763/)

umbiffers Oct 5th, 2012 02:44 PM

Tamarindo or Manuel Antonio for beach time in costa rica

I'm trying to decide which beach to spend a few days after time in Arenal. It's my first time in Costa Rica and we will be driving. I heard there may be turtles nesting near Tamarindo but MA sounds like it has a lot of other wildlife. Suggestions?

RAC Oct 5th, 2012 02:54 PM

What time of year? Turtle season is about July through November.

Manuel Antonio has superior wildlife all year.

umbiffers Oct 5th, 2012 02:58 PM

Early November

volcanogirl Oct 5th, 2012 03:07 PM

Manuel Antonio has tons of wildlife, and a lot of it is fairly tame and used to people so you can get close. You may have monkeys at your hotel. Ours had capuchins all over the place. In the park we saw sloths, monkeys, iguanas, raccoons, crabs, bats, and a lot of cool insects. The beach inside the park is beautiful. There are a lot of tourists in the area - it's a pretty popular place. Lots of hotel and restaurant choices. We haven't been to Tamarindo yet.

sylvia3 Oct 5th, 2012 03:23 PM

But: you have to pay to park and to enter the park, and if it's beach you want, it can get like Coney island.
If you are thinking Tamarindo, think a bit farther north and go to Flamingo or Conchal. Different (quieter/ less "hippy":)) atmosphere, less windy, nicer (IMO) water.

ELiz_Travels Oct 5th, 2012 03:38 PM

Turtle egg laying season at the beach just north of Tamarindo goes from Januray to early February, I believe. But do some research and find out what is expected this year. The population goes in cycles of 3 years, if I remember correctly. We drove through Tamarindo on the way to our eco-friendly hotel--it is a busy beach strip which didn't appeal to us at all.. So I agree, don't stay there if it is the natural beauty and wildlife you want to see. The drive from Arenal across to the Pacific side is wonderful,but don't be in a hurry. I takes a lot longer than you expect.

volcanogirl Oct 5th, 2012 06:12 PM

The beach wasn't crowded at all when we went, just a handful of people there. There were quite a few people hiking though.

sylvia3 Oct 6th, 2012 07:10 AM

WE were alone (early a.m.) on the beach in MA; until after our hike, when there were mobs! I was irked with he-who-is-known-as "Pusher of the Death March Hikes" the rest of the day:)
At least I got my photos in first...

volcanogirl Oct 6th, 2012 07:43 AM

When we hiked we would sort of be on our own but then run into another group looking at something else. Seemed like everyone travels in their own little pack. The wildlife was amazing though so I can see why it draws people there. Even so I would still hire a guide. Ours found a lot of thing we would have missed.