Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   TAM or Gol in Brazil? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/tam-or-gol-in-brazil-457511/)

ovenbird Dec 3rd, 2008 11:21 AM

TAM or Gol in Brazil?

Is one airline any better than the other?

mot Dec 4th, 2008 04:52 AM

GOL is considered a budget airline and you will only get a small cereal and a soft drink to eat. Crew is quite nice, though. Depending on the flight the extra food you will get in TAM is not worth. Both have new and clean planes and I would go for the cheaper/more convenient schedule.

ovenbird Dec 4th, 2008 05:27 AM

Thanks mot. I just tried to pay for a GOL flight (GRU to GIG) on their online site, but it seems the only credit card they accept is American Express, which I don't have. Not very user friendly...

I guess it's on to Plan B. Unfortunate because the flight price was very good...$50US.

bsvirginian Dec 5th, 2008 03:30 AM

At $ 50.00 US what's wrong with cash if everything else is OK.
bsvirginian

ovenbird Dec 5th, 2008 04:43 AM

Can it be that easy? I'm in Chicago, so how would I go about getting cash to GOL? I suspect a wire transfer would make this fare not such a good deal.

bsvirginian Dec 9th, 2008 01:31 PM

It's been my experience that the domestic flights are so numerous that you wouldn't have too much of a wait at the airport probably isn't more than an hour. They have currency exchange booths at the airport. I'm assuming that you are flying into GRU and trying to get to GIG? Is that Rio? Check their site again to see how frequent the flights are. If it's Rio that you want it would be the equivalent of flying from Chicago to NYC.
bsvirginian

skittle Dec 9th, 2008 02:10 PM

Ovenbird, Can you book through an agent?

bsvirginian Dec 9th, 2008 05:02 PM

You might do an internet search for "Brazilian Travel". They handled my travel plans to Brazil in November. I'm certain they will at least give you some advice. I really think the flights are so numberous that you can do it right at the airport. Good Luck.
bsvirginian

ovenbird Dec 10th, 2008 04:53 PM

We will land in Sao Paulo (GRU) and want to get to Rio, either GIG or the other airport there. We are uncomfortable winging it since we need to meet up with our tour group in Rio. So we are trying to get reservations on either GOL or TAM.

Neither the GOL nor TAM website is user friendly for those outside of South America. So I suspect I'll need to pay the fee and do this through a travel agent. I'll check out Brazil Travel...thanks bsvirginian for the suggestion.

tengohambre Dec 10th, 2008 05:13 PM

Look at BACC travel, a Brazilian agency in NYC. They have been around a long time and do a lot of business. They have a user friendly website:

bacctravel.com

Good luck. As between GOL and TAM, I would pick the more convenient/cheaper flight. They are both good options.

ovenbird Dec 11th, 2008 03:37 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, tengohambre.