Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Tabacon Hot Springs 101 (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/tabacon-hot-springs-101-a-749366/)

luvtravelin Nov 18th, 2007 06:37 PM

Tabacon Hot Springs 101

Sorry in advance if these are ignorant questions.

Can non-swimmers still go into the hot springs?

Is it basically like being in a hot tub?

Since I don't swim, I don't have a swimsuit - Do you have to wear a swimsuit to go into the springs?

As a non-swimmer - should I skip the hot springs? Or is it a do not miss type of a thing while in CR?

ShellD Nov 19th, 2007 07:47 AM

You definitely do not have to be a swimmer to go into the hot springs, but you do need a swimsuit. They are like natural jacuzzis. None of them are deep and you do not have to swim at all. You can walk in any of them and I don't think you would want to actually swim in any of them except maybe where they have the swim up bar, which looks more like a swimming pool.

If you go to Tabacon's web site, you can see some pictures which may give you a better idea of what the springs look like. If you like a hot tub made of rocks, surrounded by lush gardens, I think you would like it.

volcanogirl Nov 19th, 2007 09:18 AM

Some of the pools are shallow and some are a little deeper. You could definitely go in the shallower pools - there are all sizes, and some are warmer than others. Our favorite was the big one over by the waterfall - really pretty. I think it's a pretty neat thing since it's all naturally heated by the volcano; I'm glad we did it. There are some deeper pools - one has a waterslide, etc. that probably wouldn't interest you, but I think you'd enjoy the other ones. Like Shell said, just check out the pics on their website and you decide if it interests you. I agree that you need a swimsuit. Also there's a spa there if you like getting pampered.

shillmac Nov 19th, 2007 09:19 AM

The spa is excellent!

luvtravelin Nov 19th, 2007 09:44 AM

Thanks for the replies - that gives me a better idea of what to expect. I know it is expensive and so I didn't want to pay and not be able to enjoy it. my husband swims but I don't - so I will have to re-think if we should do this. Thanks!

shillmac Nov 19th, 2007 12:54 PM

Oh no--don't rethink it! You absolutely don't need to be a swimmer. Most (if not all) of the natural pools you can sit in with your head above the water. As someone said, it's really like natural hottubs with a natural bottom and sides. The surroundings are gorgeous. We love it there early in the day--seems to be less crowded when it opens about 10:00.

You just have to see it to understand! You do need a swimsuit--and a disposal waterproof camera to carry around for photos. The bar area in the pool is just waist level. The grounds are fairly extensive and all of it lovely.

Keith Nov 19th, 2007 01:45 PM

Are the springs pretty much a family/couples thing? Would a single, middle aged man be likely to have fun there?

Keith

volcanogirl Nov 19th, 2007 02:42 PM

I think it's hard to say if you would have fun. Would you have fun relaxing in hot springs, enjoying some waterfalls, maybe having a drink/snack at the swim up bar? We found people to be friendly - i.e. chatting with us at the bar, etc. but seems like most people we saw were with a group or part of a couple. I don't think you'd find a lot of singles there, so you'd have to be the type that can just relax and enjoy. You can find privacy there or hordes - depending upon when you go and which pool you're in.

Seaturtlelady Nov 19th, 2007 04:49 PM

When are you going to CR Keith?

Heyyyy VocanoGirl...my bag came in today! :)

2 weeks and 6 days left before I sprout my wings!

Leigh

shillmac Nov 19th, 2007 05:47 PM

Keith, I think you'd enjoy walking the grounds (extensive), soaking in the hot springs, sitting at the bar, etc. I know I would--with a group, with a partner, or alone. It's a great place. Very unfortunate that it is so expensive and has gotten so crowded.

I still contend that the management is jacking the price up for daytrippers in an effort to encourage people to stay at the hotel, which has had problems getting good reviews consistently. At any rate, it's price gouging at its worse. That said, it's a lovely place.

And I'll say it again--that spa! By the way, it is separate from the hot springs (regarding management).

Keith Nov 20th, 2007 04:28 AM

I'm going in January, Seaturtlelady.

Enjoy your trip. I look forward to your trip report!

Keith

hipvirgochick Nov 20th, 2007 07:16 AM

Keith - I think you would have a nice time. Go for it! :)

Seaturtlelady -- We have that bag too, it's great!

ticaviajera Nov 20th, 2007 08:04 AM

Even kids that do not swim can enjoy the hotsprings...another excellent alternative...ECO TERMALES!

Rocio

volcanogirl Nov 20th, 2007 09:00 AM

Congrats on getting your bag, STL - doesn't that make it seem official now?!

Seaturtlelady Nov 20th, 2007 06:42 PM

Yepppppp...I think I got the right one. No wheels but straps to wear on shoulders with strap around torso, right???

Yeah, I just gotta get me some really small binoculars and then I'll be ready.

VolcanoGirl...you just walk on the plane with the bag right?? You didn't check in luggage too did you???

I want to wish everybody a wonderful Thanksgiving on Fodors!

Leigh

hipvirgochick Nov 20th, 2007 07:00 PM

Checking luggage is a pain and I never do it. I would rather just take less, do some laundry there and travel light. The only thing now is you gotta get those small containers and put them all in a ziploc baggie for inspection. :(

Looking forward to hearing about your trip. :)

Seaturtlelady Nov 23rd, 2007 10:34 AM

Thanks guys...I used the convertible weekender bag for a two-day trip to the Georgia Coast. I love the bag, just need lots of practice packing light!!! lol

Hey Keith when you get back from CR we'll swap tall tales on here! 8-)

Okayyyy...pack baggies, does that mean I can take two SMALL tubes of colgate toothpaste then???

Leigh

hipvirgochick Nov 23rd, 2007 11:24 AM

I believe the rule is anything liquid needs to be in 3 oz or less containers and you need to be able to lay the baggie flat so you can see everything inside. You might want to check your airline site though, it may be 2 oz now. I'm drawing a blank. ;)