Search

Costa Rica Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Advice

HI All

I am trying to plan a 20th Anniversary trip next Spring, in April. The most recent suggestion is Costa Rica.

Things that interest us:
1) Oceanfront with great beaches
2) Near nightlife with quaint, safe, dive bars
3) Near the "jungle" as we want to do a zip line trip, atv etc etc

I have some questions:
1) What is the best all inclusive resort to stay at?
2) What is the best town / area to stay in given what we like to do?

All thoughts on where to go, or where NOT to go are welcome.

Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 06:23 PM

I'd go with Tulemar Bungalows in Manuel Antonio. I'd pass on the all inclusives. They aren't that common in CR, and there are tons of cute restaurants with good food that are walkable from Tulemar. They also have kitchens and a frig, so you can keep food and cold drinks on hand which is nice and convenient. They have their own beach with free kayaking, boogie boarding, etc. And a beach cafe that serves breakfast and lunch. Tons of activities in the area and lots of wildlife like monkeys and sloths.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:23 AM

I'd probably point you in the direction of Samara or Nosara, on the Nicoya Peninsula. They are quieter, authentic beach towns, none of the shiny resort type places you get further north. The "jungle" is a bit of a drive, but it's feasible for example to visit Monteverde or Arenal on a (long) day trip, where there are adventure options aplenty. Even better, combine time at the beach with a couple of nights somewhere inland if possible!

Dave
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 05:35 AM
RAC

I'd recommend not staying at an All-Inclusive, the best options in Costa Rica are non-AI.

Nicoya peninsula (Montezuma, Nosara etc) would probably be your best bet.

The only caveat is that there aren't that many beaches that measure up to what you find in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Maybe look at Ylang Ylang beach resort in Montezuma
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Just a heads up that Costa Rica isn't known for it's night life. A lot of areas can be kind of sleepy at night. Activities tend to start early in the day since the sun is up at 5:30.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM

You might take a look at Belize as well, not sure if you have your heart set on CR, but we loved Victoria House on Ambergris.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 03:33 AM

I agree with both RAC and Volcanogirl. If your primary wishes are great beaches, nightlife, jungle, all-inclusive resort... rather than Costa Rica, why don't you go to Playa del Carmen? This should suit you better!
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

PuraAventura

I was just looking at PDC last night.

Can you recommend a resort that is walking distance to PDC? I was looking at a couple but the seem to be quite far from PDC.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 07:05 AM
RAC

There are all kinds of places up and down the coast between Cancun and Sian Kaan.

It's been my experience anywhere I've seen all inclusives that they're not walking distance to anywhere--they're their own self-contained mini city. The safe dive bar scene is usually not located anywhere near an all inclusive.

I would probably look at one of the boutique beachfront places near Tulum or maybe even renting a condo on one of Akumal's bays.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 08:56 AM

I agree - Mexico is a good suggestion and probably more in line with what you're looking for. Hope you find your spot.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 04:13 AM

I'm sorry twm1969, as I am not really an all-inclusive traveller I can't recommend you one. I had a wonderful experience in one of the Mahekal Beach Resort‎'s ocean view penthouse, last year, but isn't an all-inclusive hotel. However, most of the hotels in PDC are safe, comfortable and offer very helpful, friendly staff, plus good food. If you want to be sure not being to far from the town center of Playa, search from the hotel I've mentioned to the dock (there are some all-inclusive hotels there!) ;-)

Hopefully this will help you!

Dave
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya in Apri. Great beach and within walking distance of Play del Carmen