Suzuki Ignis in rainy season

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need to be careful about what kind of car I rent in the rainy season? We will only be renting for our leg from Manuel Antonio to Xandari in the Central Valley. The cheapest (and smalles car I'm sure) is the Suzuki Ignis. Just wanna make sure this will be okay for us even in the rainy season (beginning of August).
Thanks
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I don't recommend anything but a 4WD once you leave the city.

The roads that you are taking should be fine. However, if you encounter a problem on the road (bridge out, road washed away, etc), the detours tend to be "creative". You will feel much more secure in a 4WD. Also, you may want to get out and explore. Once you get off the main roads, you never know what you will encounter. Especially during rainy season.

If you look around the net, I am sure that you will find that a 4WD is not really that much more expensive.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:08 PM

lutherkins,
We always rent the Ignus in July. It gets the two of us around just fine. More people, plus their luggage, might be a problem. We use Tricolor, and have found their rates to be the best.

www.tricolorcarrental.com

Just reserved an Ignus for 8 days at a total, all-inclusive cost of $287. Pretty hard to beat. . .
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
I was looking at using Tricolor. I thought the Ignis was a 4wd??
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:15 PM

I was looking at the Ignis myself for June, it sure looks like it is a 4x4. I think Pat was just generalizing not commenting on the Ignis itself. You never know when you might get a little extra water in the stream crossings, not to mention muddy hills to go up that can use the extra wheel power.

Both of our cars here at home are big 4x4's and I just wonder if the Ignis has enough power.
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

shillmac,
Does that price tricolor quoted you include taxes and their mandatory insurance? When I called yesterday they said an Ignis would be 44 dollars a day. You're getting a good deal for 8 days.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM

The Ignus is indeed a 4X4, and while not as powerful as the larger ones, of course, seems to get the job done. The standard shifting helps.

Yes, we did get a good rate. You can, too! The weekly rates are always better, and yes, Tricolor price quotes ALWAYS are all-inclusive of everything. That said, I make sure I take a copy of the e-mail with all the confirmation information in it, just in case something comes up that is not what we agreed on. It never has.

When you e-mail them, address your request to Cynthia Segura.
Use the reservation request, and in the "comments" box, make your comments to Cynthia. She has always been very helpful to us.